Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Ditching the Kit lens, what to buy?

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 25, 2011 7:12:21 PM

So I'm going to go ahead and buy a Canon T1i as my first DSLR. After reading some of the reviews, I'm thinking of buying the body only model (saving $100) and buying a separate lens instead. I would only like to spend $100-150 on the lens. My purposes will be to take general snapshots, especially shots of my newborn (relatively close-up). Portrait photography (headshots) would be a secondary purpose, but I'm not sure if I can get a good lens for that in my price range. Is my best bet to stick with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens that comes standard? Or is there a better lens out there for me? Thanks!

More about : ditching kit lens buy

a b w Digital camera
February 27, 2011 11:55:43 PM

Most pictures are taken in the 18 to 55 range. Great for indoor shots, outdoor scenery, and yes head shots at the 55 setting.

Start out with this lens and later add a tele-zoom lens, maybe 70 to 200 for distant objects, wild-life, etc.
Score

Best solution

March 2, 2011 12:45:46 PM

WWBD said:
So I'm going to go ahead and buy a Canon T1i as my first DSLR. After reading some of the reviews, I'm thinking of buying the body only model (saving $100) and buying a separate lens instead. I would only like to spend $100-150 on the lens. My purposes will be to take general snapshots, especially shots of my newborn (relatively close-up). Portrait photography (headshots) would be a secondary purpose, but I'm not sure if I can get a good lens for that in my price range. Is my best bet to stick with the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens that comes standard? Or is there a better lens out there for me? Thanks!

it might take you some time, but if you are not sure what lens is best for you, go here

www.the-digital-picture.com

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sa...

you can compare on lens to another by mousing over the image.

they give extensive reviews for many lenses.

as for the price you are looking for, i doubt you can find anything for $100-150, at all... aside from kit lenses.

Now for kit lenses you have options... all to often stores will change the kit lens from the 18-55 to the 18-200, to the 18-55 and 55-200 or the 18-135... prices change a little when they do this, but only 100-200ish.

good lens's that are considered affordable are usually $500-$1000 Pro lens's are usually $800+ and can be still reasonable in price to astronomical in price... but are often specialized, so they wouldn't interest you anyway.

If i could recommend any lenses, i would suggest the following.

Sigma/canon 18-200. so many reasons to choose this lens.

or
canon 18-135, canon 15-55
Related resources
January 28, 2012 5:33:55 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:33:58 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!