[RGMW] RGMW miniatures and belt buckles etc., Inc.

Donovan Borman wrote:
> http://www.conquestind.com/spinCasting/FAQ.asp
> http://www.tekcast.com/sixeasy.htm
>
> Everybody chip in a coupla hundred and we'll be in there like Prego.
>
> Who's got room in their basement?

Considered this actually. Models like zombies, orcs, goblins, skeltons,
skeletons in "renaissance clothing" (for von Carstein undead) and
askaris and zulu figures. Basically anything you need a ton of. A small
caster runs for about a grand.

Not that you would even *consider* using this for duping another
company's figures... that's tantamount to kllling babies! ;-)

But it's a little easier to get some alumilite and do short-run
castings.

--Chris

"Chris Valera" <grimdarkness@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Donovan Borman wrote:
> > http://www.conquestind.com/spinCasting/FAQ.asp
> > http://www.tekcast.com/sixeasy.htm
> >
> > Everybody chip in a coupla hundred and we'll be in there like Prego.
> >
> > Who's got room in their basement?
>
> Considered this actually. Models like zombies, orcs, goblins, skeltons,
> skeletons in "renaissance clothing" (for von Carstein undead) and
> askaris and zulu figures. Basically anything you need a ton of. A small
> caster runs for about a grand.
>
> Not that you would even *consider* using this for duping another
> company's figures... that's tantamount to kllling babies! ;-)
>
> But it's a little easier to get some alumilite and do short-run
> castings.

You figure, there's enough sculpting talent in and around this list to put
everything up to and including foundry/citadel to shame, it'd make a nice
side project for mongoose? hehehe Besides alumilite is great and all....but
it isn't the same as a centrifugally cast white metal mini

" Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> wrote in message

> "Chris Valera" <grimdarkness@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Donovan Borman wrote:
> > > http://www.conquestind.com/spinCasting/FAQ.asp
> > > http://www.tekcast.com/sixeasy.htm
> > >
> > > Everybody chip in a coupla hundred and we'll be in there like Prego.
> > >
> > > Who's got room in their basement?
> >
> > Considered this actually. Models like zombies, orcs, goblins, skeltons,
> > skeletons in "renaissance clothing" (for von Carstein undead) and
> > askaris and zulu figures. Basically anything you need a ton of. A small
> > caster runs for about a grand.
> >
> > Not that you would even *consider* using this for duping another
> > company's figures... that's tantamount to kllling babies! ;-)
> >
> > But it's a little easier to get some alumilite and do short-run
> > castings.
>
> You figure, there's enough sculpting talent in and around this list to put
> everything up to and including foundry/citadel to shame, it'd make a nice
> side project for mongoose? hehehe Besides alumilite is great and
all....but
> it isn't the same as a centrifugally cast white metal mini

Oh and I forgot to add I have a wealthy benefactor returning to the US later
this year who wants his own miniature line;o)

Will he pay royalties? Cuz if so, I'm on that like white on rice.

> Will he pay royalties? Cuz if so, I'm on that like white on rice.
>
> --Chris

More like he'll be the one to purchase all the industrial stuff. He was
seriously considering buying up another miniature company that recently went
out of biz (molds and equipment) but at that time his home life went in the
toilet. He's in Tajikistan (spelling?) working for the CIA making shitloads
of money at the moment.

The RGMW end of it would be something like: sculpt stuff up to be cast, get
paid either a one time lump, and/or get royalties, and/or get a mess of free
stuff. The whole operation will be a labor of love, not a true business at
least in the beginning.

Ecke wrote:
> " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > "Chris Valera" <grimdarkness@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Will he pay royalties? Cuz if so, I'm on that like white on rice.
> >>
> >> --Chris
> >>

> > More like he'll be the one to purchase all the industrial stuff. He
was
> > seriously considering buying up another miniature company that
recently
> > went
> > out of biz (molds and equipment) but at that time his home life
went in
> > the
> > toilet. He's in Tajikistan (spelling?) working for the CIA making
> > shitloads
> > of money at the moment.
> >
> > The RGMW end of it would be something like: sculpt stuff up to be
cast,
> > get
> > paid either a one time lump, and/or get royalties, and/or get a
mess of
> > free
> > stuff. The whole operation will be a labor of love, not a true
business at
> > least in the beginning.
>
> Let's start sculpting. By the time this progresses further the models
won't
> look like Picasso's nightmare no more and if it never takes flight it
is
> something to waste time. Win-Win. Question: Would a run of extra
stuff like
> weapons, shields... by reasonable / economical? Like decend force
hammers,
> female heads (kind of extra on a women...), horses, legs for riders,
> armatures,...?

Good idea on starting now. I need a grip of figs anyway.

Extra runs of things like shields and heads would be good, but things
like swords are a bitch to do, and have to be made out of miliput.
Certain things can't be sculpted outta green stuff. Check out the
greens on Reaper's website to see what I mean. Things like thunder
hammers (is that what you meant?) can't be used, period. Extra stuff
like swords and heads you can't copy from existing models.

Reaper do sell extra weapon packs, if anyone wants to kit out their own
models, or if we can't sculpt models with weapons for whatever reason
(skill, casting problems, etc.)

I'm not sure anyone is really jonesing for horses, they're cheap enough
from existing companies. The stuff I'm making are figs I need a ton of,
are generic, and I don't want to pay for.

Wire armatures you can make yourself, though Reaper sells sculpting
blanks.

--Chris

--
Ecke

Newsgroup FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

Due to technology humankind produced weapons of mass destruction. Without
technology it would just take a bit longer.

"Ecke" <White-Viper@gmx.de> wrote in message

> " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > "Chris Valera" <grimdarkness@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Will he pay royalties? Cuz if so, I'm on that like white on rice.
> >>
> >> --Chris
> >>

> > More like he'll be the one to purchase all the industrial stuff. He was
> > seriously considering buying up another miniature company that recently
> > went
> > out of biz (molds and equipment) but at that time his home life went in
> > the
> > toilet. He's in Tajikistan (spelling?) working for the CIA making
> > shitloads
> > of money at the moment.
> >
> > The RGMW end of it would be something like: sculpt stuff up to be cast,
> > get
> > paid either a one time lump, and/or get royalties, and/or get a mess of
> > free
> > stuff. The whole operation will be a labor of love, not a true business
at
> > least in the beginning.
>
> Let's start sculpting. By the time this progresses further the models
won't
> look like Picasso's nightmare no more and if it never takes flight it is
> something to waste time. Win-Win. Question: Would a run of extra stuff
like
> weapons, shields... by reasonable / economical? Like decend force hammers,
> female heads (kind of extra on a women...), horses, legs for riders,
> armatures,...?

(referencing Chris Valera's response, also)
These are all good ideas, and something I've been working on for a while now
(making stuff everyone wants but no one has), and will soon put into effect
is totally "IP infringement free" original works that will at the very least
be made into resin. The spincaster etc. isn't a pipe dream by any means but
bear in mind the guy who can make all this happen has a lot of "real"
priorities ahead of this. Like I said though, there will always be resin at
the very least;)

<snip>
> Extra runs of things like shields and heads would be good, but things
> like swords are a bitch to do, and have to be made out of miliput.

Or something else harder than Green Stuff. Rackham uses Fimo.

> Certain things can't be sculpted outta green stuff. Check out the
> greens on Reaper's website to see what I mean. Things like thunder
> hammers (is that what you meant?) can't be used, period. Extra stuff
> like swords and heads you can't copy from existing models.

I wasn't planning on using an imperial eagle on anything. I was moer
thinking along the line of a hammer which will give off an electrical shock
when used. Would probably called an electro hammer.

> Reaper do sell extra weapon packs, if anyone wants to kit out their own
> models, or if we can't sculpt models with weapons for whatever reason
> (skill, casting problems, etc.)
>
> I'm not sure anyone is really jonesing for horses, they're cheap enough
> from existing companies. The stuff I'm making are figs I need a ton of,
> are generic, and I don't want to pay for.
>
> Wire armatures you can make yourself, though Reaper sells sculpting
> blanks.

Wasn't Reaper 25mm?

--

Chris Valera wrote:

>Extra runs of things like shields and heads would be good, but things
>like swords are a bitch to do, and have to be made out of miliput.
>Certain things can't be sculpted outta green stuff. Check out the
>greens on Reaper's website to see what I mean.

Use Brown Stuff instead of green for weapons and hard edged parts, can
even mix with green to adjust the properties. You can also mix
milliput and green but the result is very brittle.

--
Lane

"Stephen Weir" <sweir@sweir.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> Donovan Borman wrote:
> > He's in Tajikistan (spelling?) working for the CIA making shitloads of
money at the moment.

> "My cover was blown where?!!!!!"

Not THAT kind of work! LOL

"Lane Shutt" <lmshutt@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
> Chris Valera wrote:
>

> >Extra runs of things like shields and heads would be good, but things
> >like swords are a bitch to do, and have to be made out of miliput.
> >Certain things can't be sculpted outta green stuff. Check out the
> >greens on Reaper's website to see what I mean.
>
> Use Brown Stuff instead of green for weapons and hard edged parts, can
> even mix with green to adjust the properties. You can also mix
> milliput and green but the result is very brittle.

Is that Brown stuff that Fino? I got some Milliput silver grey medium epoxy
putty as recommended by someone in the biz, and super sculpey which is great
for knick knacks (after learning how to sculpt and cast etc I don't buy
presents;o)

"Lane Shutt" <lmshutt@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> Use Brown Stuff

What I forgot to add is what is it AND where can I get it. Isn't it
Alumilite product or something? I remember actually having some years ago
for sculpting guns and stuff but plasticard worked better at the time.

<snip>
> Check out GW or Reaper then, or the Order of Vladd figure from the Mage
> Knight Metal range. If you need just the one figure, it's easier to
> just buy or convert it, unless it has to be custom, or it would cost
> too much to convert. I'm doing stuff I need hordes of. But whatever.

Eitherway would be a nice practice. Let's see what we can rig together in
half a year.

--

> "Lane Shutt" <lmshutt@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> Chris Valera wrote:
>>

>> >Extra runs of things like shields and heads would be good, but things
>> >like swords are a bitch to do, and have to be made out of miliput.
>> >Certain things can't be sculpted outta green stuff. Check out the
>> >greens on Reaper's website to see what I mean.
>>
>> Use Brown Stuff instead of green for weapons and hard edged parts, can
>> even mix with green to adjust the properties. You can also mix
>> milliput and green but the result is very brittle.
>
> Is that Brown stuff that Fino? I got some Milliput silver grey medium
> epoxy
> putty as recommended by someone in the biz, and super sculpey which is
> great
> for knick knacks (after learning how to sculpt and cast etc I don't buy
> presents;o)

I think brown stuff is either a mix of green stuff and milliput or the
coarse milliput stuff, in either case something hardening with time alone.
fimo comes in diffrent colors and will not harden unless heated. It was once
popular over here for childrens parties, sculpting little gimmicks with lots
of colors. It went out of style after some rumors? about it being not
totally healthy and when the parents lost time for their children and bought
computer instead. The health problem was during the heating time. It gave
off some not good vapours and when the easiest way to cure it was in an oven
in which food was prepared... most people use green stuff for whatever comes
along unless it has to have a hard edge with little substance backing it,
like in swords. Green stuff will not harden completly, it will always be
malleable (not very much) so swords and other weapons are not durable
enough.

--

Donovan Borman wrote:
>>> He's in Tajikistan (spelling?) working for the CIA making shitloads of money at the moment.
>>>
>> "My cover was blown where?!!!!!"
>>
> Not THAT kind of work! LOL

Well the mental image conjured up by your statement kept me amused for the
entire afternoon.

--
Stephen Weir

List of Games for Sale - http://www.glipe.free-online.co.uk/index.htm
ICQ # 11472386

> >> "My cover was blown where?!!!!!"
> >>
> > Not THAT kind of work! LOL
>
> Well the mental image conjured up by your statement kept me amused for the
> entire afternoon.

You're welcome, please sent $5 to me;o) If you've ever seen "Spies Like Us",
that's the area he's in (where they're up in the mountains with the
glowsticks and fur hats LOL)

> "Stephen Weir" <sweir@sweir.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> money at the moment.

>> > Not THAT kind of work! LOL
>>
>> Well the mental image conjured up by your statement kept me amused for
>> the
>> entire afternoon.
>
> You're welcome, please sent $5 to me;o) If you've ever seen "Spies Like
> Us",
> that's the area he's in (where they're up in the mountains with the
> glowsticks and fur hats LOL)

As in the generall vicinity or in that area of work?

--
Ecke

Newsgroup FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

Due to technology humankind produced weapons of mass destruction. Without
technology it would just take a bit longer.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:24:51 -0600, " Donovan Borman"
<borscope@charter.net> wrote:

>Is that Brown stuff that Fino?

Brown stuff and Green stuff are made by the same company.
It holds a hard edge much better, can be cut and filed easier than
Green. Highly recommended by several pro sculptors giving seminars at
GenCon (Indy) last year. Also seen on the greens from several company
pages (Reaper). IIRC it was previously known as Bronze stuff because
it had metallic powder in it.

I forget where but I have seen several online stores list it.
Warning: the cost is more than what GW charges for Green Stuff. MY
FLGS had some at $5 for 3" strip. Then again you use less.

--
Lane

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:24:51 -0600, " Donovan Borman"
> <borscope@charter.net> wrote:
>

> >Is that Brown stuff that Fino?
>
> Brown stuff and Green stuff are made by the same company.
> It holds a hard edge much better, can be cut and filed easier than
> Green. Highly recommended by several pro sculptors giving seminars at
> GenCon (Indy) last year. Also seen on the greens from several company
> pages (Reaper). IIRC it was previously known as Bronze stuff because
> it had metallic powder in it.
>
> I forget where but I have seen several online stores list it.
> Warning: the cost is more than what GW charges for Green Stuff. MY
> FLGS had some at $5 for 3" strip. Then again you use less.

I pay $10-12 for 3 foot sections of green stuff so I think I can eat the
cost of the Brown stuff. (looks for link in favorites) Oh look they've got
brown stuff too! Schweet
http://secure.nxco.com/fortress/cgi-bin/figures/store/commerce.cgi?cart_id=7580016.26100&product=Epoxy_Putty
If that link doesn't work, it's all at:
http://www.fortressfigures.com/

> " Donovan Borman" <borscope@charter.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >
> > "Stephen Weir" <sweir@sweir.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> > money at the moment.

> >> Well the mental image conjured up by your statement kept me amused for
> >> the
> >> entire afternoon.
> >
> > You're welcome, please sent $5 to me;o) If you've ever seen "Spies Like
> > Us",
> > that's the area he's in (where they're up in the mountains with the
> > glowsticks and fur hats LOL)
>
> As in the generall vicinity or in that area of work?

In that general vicinity...the glowsticks and furs are more of a hobby;o)