Spec me a new printer please!

GSD

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hi all.

I currently have a Canon Pixma IP8500 which I bought a while ago mostly for photo printing, however we now using it for printing documents 95% of the time and rarely use it for photo printing anymore.
The problem with this is that the ink cartridges cost a bomb! It holds 8 ink cartridges and they cost £10 each, we are currently spending over £20 a month just on cartridges... that's more than what we pay for our TV, internet and phone!
Another slight annoyance with this Canon printer is that it's plugged into a Windows XP PC on my home network with 3 other computers, but my own computer uses Windows Vista which means I can't actually use it with my PC because the PC it's attached to is running the XP driver...

So I would like to buy a fairly cheap (will pay up to £50 and don't mind buying second hand), reliable, colour printer that is cheap to run and it must work with Windows Vista 64bit.
At the moment I like the look of the HP Deskjet printers, especially the HP Deskjet D4360 - what do you think?

Also, how do I get around with the problem of having the printer attached to a PC running Windows XP but also using it with a Vista 64bit PC on the network?

Any help would be appreciated.