Sign in with
Your question

Can't get second win7 partition to boot

Last response: in Windows 7
October 1, 2012 5:30:27 PM

I installed Windows 7 on my second hard drive g: (1st partition drive 1) and Windows set up a dual boot with Windows XP on the C: drive (1st partition drive 0) and Windows 7 on the G: drive (1st partition drive 1). Everything worked fine for months until I decided to dump Windows XP to try out Windows 8. I created an Win 8 installation USB FOB. I deleted the old XP Partition on C: then the install failed and I could not boot, (c: was deleted).

No problem (I thought), I just swapped the hard drives to boot off my Windows 7 partition. Surprise! It won't boot either. I tried using partition Wizard to repair the MBR, from another computer. That didn't work.

Then I created a Windows 7 installation USB FOB (no CD drive on target computer), to see if Windows repair would take care of the problem. It could find no Windows installation. So I selected start up repair, it ran for a few minutes then said it was going to reboot, so I pressed the finish button.

I get a message

------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. Choose language settings and click next.
3. Click repair your computer.

If you do not have this disk contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \boot\BCD

Info: The Windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I get this message every time I try to boot using the installation USB FOB.

If I try to boot without it, I get a message that says Insert system disk in drive... Press any key when ready. Looks like Windows repair hosed up the USB FOB.

Does some utility exist to correct problems with getting a Windows partition to boot from a different drive/position? I know my Windows 7 partition still exists (I could see everything in it from another system). I would really like to avoid installing it from scratch (I can save the data, but will lose much other work).

More about : win7 partition boot

a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 5:33:01 PM

go to bios
change the boot order
m
l
Related resources
!