Blank Welcome Screen - need help please

I have a laptop that has suddenly presented me with a 'Welcome' screen
prompting for me to select a login.
I have only one user and have always gone straight in to Windows.

The problem I have is, there is only a blank right hand side of screen.
There are no names to select!!!

I get the same screen if I try safe mode, or safe mode with prompt

I've booted from XP CD and reloaded windows. I can't get to the Repair
console as it asks for an admin password, and I've never set one! (It's a
Compaq Presario 2500 - do Compaq set an admin password?)

So, everything I try has backed me into a corner.

Is there anything at all I can do?

Thanks
Neil
4 answers Last reply
More about blank screen please

    Tried pressing cntl + alt + del twice in a row?

    "neil40" <neil40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a laptop that has suddenly presented me with a 'Welcome' screen
    > prompting for me to select a login.
    > I have only one user and have always gone straight in to Windows.
    >
    > The problem I have is, there is only a blank right hand side of screen.
    > There are no names to select!!!
    >
    > I get the same screen if I try safe mode, or safe mode with prompt
    >
    > I've booted from XP CD and reloaded windows. I can't get to the Repair
    > console as it asks for an admin password, and I've never set one! (It's a
    > Compaq Presario 2500 - do Compaq set an admin password?)
    >
    > So, everything I try has backed me into a corner.
    >
    > Is there anything at all I can do?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Neil

    Yep,
    It gives me the login screen as expected, but the name presented will not
    accept any passwords
    administrator tried, don't know password, as I've never used it.
    Everything I try says Make sure User name and domain are correct!

    neil40 wrote:

    > Yep,
    > It gives me the login screen as expected, but the name presented will
    > not accept any passwords
    > administrator tried, don't know password, as I've never used it.
    > Everything I try says Make sure User name and domain are correct!
    >
    > "Steven" wrote:
    >
    >> Tried pressing cntl + alt + del twice in a row?
    >>

    >> "neil40" <neil40@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a laptop that has suddenly presented me with a 'Welcome'
    >> >screen
    >> > prompting for me to select a login.
    >> > I have only one user and have always gone straight in to Windows.
    >> >
    >> > The problem I have is, there is only a blank right hand side of
    >> > screen. There are no names to select!!!
    >> >
    >> > I get the same screen if I try safe mode, or safe mode with prompt
    >> >
    >> > I've booted from XP CD and reloaded windows. I can't get to the
    >> > Repair console as it asks for an admin password, and I've never set
    >> > one! (It's a Compaq Presario 2500 - do Compaq set an admin
    >> > password?)

    Boot into Safe Mode and try your Ctrl-Alt-Del twice to get the login
    screen. Type in Administrator and assume the password is blank. Can you
    get in now?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers