Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual booting

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
October 1, 2012 5:46:30 PM

Hi
I'm new and am here to ask a question as follows,
Is it possible to Dual boot with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and Windows XP Professional 32bit? If so which should be installed first?

I have a 160Gb hard drive Dual Zeon Processors and 4Gb DDR2

More about : dual booting

Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 6:01:48 PM

Yes you can, install to seperate partitions, xp first then 7.
Related resources
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 7:12:08 PM

dingo07 said:
there's no need because you can run XP Mode inside of Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and...


It won't play games. Most VM's don't handle directX. XP mode is more geared towards business programs that don't run under windows 7, but you still need to use them.
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 7:13:20 PM

Quote:
Yes you can, install to seperate partitions, xp first then 7.


^+1

For windows OS's, you always install oldest to newest.
a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 7:31:58 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
It won't play games. Most VM's don't handle directX. XP mode is more geared towards business programs that don't run under windows 7, but you still need to use them.

I know that - the OP didn't mention any reasoning
a c 229 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 7:35:32 PM

dingo07 said:
I know that - the OP didn't mention any reasoning



...and you didn't mention that he might not be able to play games in XP mode. No sense in having the OP go through all the trouble of installing XP mode to find out he can't game with it.
a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 8:15:56 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
...and you didn't mention that he might not be able to play games in XP mode. No sense in having the OP go through all the trouble of installing XP mode to find out he can't game with it.

He can game in Windows 7
a c 411 $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 8:20:01 PM

Dual Zeon = XEON
October 1, 2012 11:04:46 PM

dingo07 said:
there's no need because you can run XP Mode inside of Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-and...

Hello Dingo07,
Thanks for your helpful reply, just a few more drivers to back up and a document or two and I should be installing Ultimate later this week,
Many thanks
redriver_68
!