[40k] SM Scouts w/Sniper Rifles

How useful do people find Scouts with Sniper Rifles to be? I've fought a
couple battles now with my 500pt SM force (point limit set by the league I'm
currently in), and both times I've quickly had my snipers taken out without
them inflicting any major damage. The first game they did manage to shoot a
couple people, the second time they took a couple Orks out in close combat.
I'm starting to seriously think about replacing them with either scouts
armed with Bolters, CCW's, or try to rework everything to fit in a Space
Marine Assault squad with Jetpacks.

Zane
5 answers Last reply
More about scouts sniper rifles

    healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
    > How useful do people find Scouts with Sniper Rifles to be? I've
    fought a
    > couple battles now with my 500pt SM force (point limit set by the
    league I'm
    > currently in), and both times I've quickly had my snipers taken out
    without
    > them inflicting any major damage. The first game they did manage to
    shoot a
    > couple people, the second time they took a couple Orks out in close
    combat.
    > I'm starting to seriously think about replacing them with either
    scouts
    > armed with Bolters, CCW's, or try to rework everything to fit in a
    Space
    > Marine Assault squad with Jetpacks.
    >
    > Zane
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    Scouts and sniper rifles are better in larger point battles. at 500
    pts they are going to get into way to much close combat to be useful,
    but at 1000 pts they are a must. Replace them now and use them when
    you play a larger battle. There is a good article in the Black Gobbo
    issue number 14, here is a link to it--

    http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spacemarines/gaming/tactica_scouts/default.htm

    They give some good information about using scouts.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    <healyzh@aracnet.com> wrote in message news:cur22c1tmt@enews3.newsguy.com...
    > How useful do people find Scouts with Sniper Rifles to be? I've fought a
    > couple battles now with my 500pt SM force (point limit set by the league
    > I'm
    > currently in), and both times I've quickly had my snipers taken out
    > without
    > them inflicting any major damage. The first game they did manage to shoot
    > couple people, the second time they took a couple Orks out in close
    > combat.
    > I'm starting to seriously think about replacing them with either scouts
    > armed with Bolters, CCW's, or try to rework everything to fit in a Space
    > Marine Assault squad with Jetpacks.
    >
    > Zane

    The key to using scouts as snipers is to use their extra range to best
    effect. Stay outside of 24" when setting up, and plan ahead to stear clear
    of anti-infantry heavy weapons. Flanking positions work well. This means
    that typically your best target is _not_ heavy support infantry, but basic
    troops or assaulting units. The number of units in the game that can be
    diverted from the main thrust of the fight, negate your scout squad _and_
    return to the main battle in time to be useful is quite low.

    I personally found that 5 scouts with no upgrades, tucked out of site in the
    enemy's side of the table, made for a great distraction. In games played for
    table quarters, they have won me games without firing a single shot.
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    In article <4211d30b@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, Chris wrote:

    ><healyzh@aracnet.com> wrote in message news:cur22c1tmt@enews3.newsguy.com...
    >> How useful do people find Scouts with Sniper Rifles to be? I've fought a
    >> couple battles now with my 500pt SM force (point limit set by the league
    >> I'm
    >> currently in), and both times I've quickly had my snipers taken out
    >> without
    >> them inflicting any major damage. The first game they did manage to shoot
    >> couple people, the second time they took a couple Orks out in close
    >> combat.
    >> I'm starting to seriously think about replacing them with either scouts
    >> armed with Bolters, CCW's, or try to rework everything to fit in a Space
    >> Marine Assault squad with Jetpacks.
    >>
    >> Zane
    >>
    > The key to using scouts as snipers is to use their extra range to best
    > effect. Stay outside of 24" when setting up, and plan ahead to stear clear
    > of anti-infantry heavy weapons. Flanking positions work well. This means
    > that typically your best target is _not_ heavy support infantry, but basic
    > troops or assaulting units. The number of units in the game that can be
    > diverted from the main thrust of the fight, negate your scout squad _and_
    > return to the main battle in time to be useful is quite low.
    >
    > I personally found that 5 scouts with no upgrades, tucked out of site in the
    > enemy's side of the table, made for a great distraction. In games played for
    > table quarters, they have won me games without firing a single shot.

    v4 and the new SM codex have made scouts in general more appealing:

    * Infiltration will be available for 2/3 of all standard missions.

    * The cover rules have become more generous. Set up/infiltrate/move
    the scouts into good cover and the difference between a 3+ save and a
    4+ save won't be quite as dramatic.

    * Although the heavy weapons selection for scouts is more limited than
    for a tactical squad they are no longer more expensive. 10 points for
    a infiltrating missile launcher sound good to me.

    --
    Joakim
  5. Archived from groups: rec.games.miniatures.warhammer (More info?)

    > v4 and the new SM codex have made scouts in general more appealing:
    >
    > * Infiltration will be available for 2/3 of all standard missions.
    >
    > * The cover rules have become more generous. Set up/infiltrate/move
    > the scouts into good cover and the difference between a 3+ save and a
    > 4+ save won't be quite as dramatic.
    >
    > * Although the heavy weapons selection for scouts is more limited than
    > for a tactical squad they are no longer more expensive. 10 points for
    > a infiltrating missile launcher sound good to me.

    Also, not paying devastator prices anymore for heavy bolter is fantastic, 9
    rifles and a HB can cause a fair few casualties.
    for me, sniper rifles is what scouts are made for, but then i like shooty
    marines.

Games Video Games Product