What is this on my taskbar?

July 26, 2005 11:05:29 PM

Since yesterday upon startup I am finding the word "Dialog" in my taskbar
and I don't know what it means. When right clicked, options are to move or
close and when left clicked nothing happens. Can someone tell me what this
is? Thanks, Josie

More about : taskbar

July 26, 2005 11:05:30 PM

Josie wrote:

> Since yesterday upon startup I am finding the word "Dialog" in my taskbar
> and I don't know what it means. When right clicked, options are to move or
> close and when left clicked nothing happens. Can someone tell me what this
> is? Thanks, Josie

Do a thorough check for malware:

THE PARASITE FIGHT
Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

Also some clean boot troubleshooting:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Josie,

Is the entry listed when you right-click the Taskbar, and choose the
Toolbars menu?

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o RvNg4jkFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Since yesterday upon startup I am finding the word "Dialog" in my taskbar
> and I don't know what it means. When right clicked, options are to move or
> close and when left clicked nothing happens. Can someone tell me what this
> is? Thanks, Josie

July 27, 2005 2:52:20 PM

This could be considered as "spyware" since you do not recall actually
installing such a program.

> Josie,
>
> Is the entry listed when you right-click the Taskbar, and choose the
> Toolbars menu?
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o RvNg4jkFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Since yesterday upon startup I am finding the word "Dialog" in my taskbar
>> and I don't know what it means. When right clicked, options are to move
>> or
>> close and when left clicked nothing happens. Can someone tell me what
>> this
>> is? Thanks, Josie

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:31:32 AM

May be, but it gives you some more information to track-down the DLL.

--
Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

> This could be considered as "spyware" since you do not recall actually
> installing such a program.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Josie,
>>
>> Is the entry listed when you right-click the Taskbar, and choose the
>> Toolbars menu?
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Josie" <josie63@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o RvNg4jkFHA.4000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>>> Since yesterday upon startup I am finding the word "Dialog" in my
>>> taskbar
>>> and I don't know what it means. When right clicked, options are to move
>>> or
>>> close and when left clicked nothing happens. Can someone tell me what
>>> this
>>> is? Thanks, Josie

Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:31:33 AM

Them run AD Aware Se, Spybot: Search and Destroy, CWShredder nas MS
AntiSyprware (???) so as to check to see ig this may be listed as spywares.

> May be, but it gives you some more information to track-down the DLL.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> This could be considered as "spyware" since you do not recall actually
>> installing such a program.
>>
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@XOX.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Josie,
>>>
>>> Is the entry listed when you right-click the Taskbar, and choose the
>>> Toolbars menu?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Windows XP MVP
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org