*BACKUP FILES IN WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

I want to backup files and folders in Windowns XP Hone Edition. Under System
Tools I have not Backup to click on.
Ben Jamin
12 answers Last reply
More about backup files windows home edition

    Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Ben Jamin" wrote:

    | I want to backup files and folders in Windowns XP Hone Edition. Under System
    | Tools I have not Backup to click on.
    | Ben Jamin

    Thank you for your suggestions however, I can not make them work for me.
    This is a new computer from the big D and they want me to pay them to backup
    for me. I thought I did that several months ago when they got my big $$
    I have no idea of what I am doing, but I will keep trying.
    Some one keep feeding me.
    Thank You,
    BenJamin

    "Ben Jamin" <BenJamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your suggestions however, I can not make them work for me.

    Could you be a bit more explicit? What happens when you try?

    You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
    deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
    install install it.

    > You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
    > deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
    > install install it.

    But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going to have
    difficulty!

    I have a,
    Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install backup and
    will have to install it again
    Benjamin

    Ben Jamin wrote:

    > I have a,
    > Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install backup and
    > will have to install it again
    > Benjamin
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >

    >>"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
    >>>deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
    >>>install install it.
    >>>

    >>But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going to have
    >>difficulty!

    If it's on the CD it will be in the \MSFT\ValueADD\Ntbackup folder as
    ntbackup.msi or download it from here:
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Ben Jamin wrote:
    >
    >> I have a,
    >> Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    >> this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install
    >> backup and will have to install it again
    >> Benjamin
    >>
    >> "Gordon" wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message

    >>> But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's
    >>> going to have difficulty!
    >
    > If it's on the CD it will be in the \MSFT\ValueADD\Ntbackup folder as
    > ntbackup.msi or download it from here:
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

    If it's a Dell recovery CD then the OP won't be able to extract NTBackup
    from there. He'll have to download it from your link.

    Gordon wrote:

    > If it's a Dell recovery CD then the OP won't be able to extract NTBackup
    > from there. He'll have to download it from your link.

    Like I wrote - if it's on the CD...

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEphbWlu?= <BenJamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I have a,
    > Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install
    > backup and will have to install it again
    > Benjamin
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >
    >> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    >> > You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must
    >> > be deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would
    >> > just need to install install it.

    You are only "entitled" to have it if you bought a version of XP that
    includes it. Some (many?) OEM versions do not include it - this is why
    it is in a folder named ValueADD on the retail XP CD, as it is part of
    the "value that is added" that you get by paying more for that version.

    >> But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going
    >> to have difficulty!

    It's there on my Dell CD.

    Rock wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >
    > > If it's a Dell recovery CD then the OP won't be able to extract NTBackup
    >
    >> from there. He'll have to download it from your link.
    >

    > Like I wrote - if it's on the CD...

    The CD Dell gave me is.
    Reinstallation CD
    MS Windows XP Home Eddition
    Including Service Pack 1a

    "justaguy@my.house" wrote:

    > =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEphbWlu?= <BenJamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I have a,
    > > Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    > > this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install
    > > backup and will have to install it again
    > > Benjamin
    > >
    > > "Gordon" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > You are only "entitled" to have it if you bought a version of XP that
    > includes it. Some (many?) OEM versions do not include it - this is why
    > it is in a folder named ValueADD on the retail XP CD, as it is part of
    > the "value that is added" that you get by paying more for that version.
    >

    > >> But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going
    > >> to have difficulty!

Backup Microsoft Windows XP