*BACKUP FILES IN WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

I want to backup files and folders in Windowns XP Hone Edition. Under System
Tools I have not Backup to click on.
Ben Jamin

Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ben Jamin" wrote:

| I want to backup files and folders in Windowns XP Hone Edition. Under System
| Tools I have not Backup to click on.
| Ben Jamin

Thank you for your suggestions however, I can not make them work for me.
This is a new computer from the big D and they want me to pay them to backup
for me. I thought I did that several months ago when they got my big $$
I have no idea of what I am doing, but I will keep trying.
Some one keep feeding me.
Thank You,
BenJamin

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>
> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Ben Jamin" wrote:
>
> | I want to backup files and folders in Windowns XP Hone Edition. Under System
> | Tools I have not Backup to click on.
> | Ben Jamin

Gordon

"Ben Jamin" <BenJamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your suggestions however, I can not make them work for me.

Could you be a bit more explicit? What happens when you try?

You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
install install it.

"Ben Jamin" <BenJamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your suggestions however, I can not make them work for me.
> This is a new computer from the big D and they want me to pay them to
> backup
> for me. I thought I did that several months ago when they got my big $$
> I have no idea of what I am doing, but I will keep trying.
> Some one keep feeding me.
> Thank You,
> BenJamin
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Installing the Backup Program on the Home Version
>> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home
>>
>> HOW TO: Use Backup to Back Up Files and Folders on Your Computer in
>> Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422&Product=winxp
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "Ben Jamin" wrote:
>>
>> | I want to backup files and folders in Windowns XP Hone Edition. Under
>> System
>> | Tools I have not Backup to click on.
>> | Ben Jamin

Gordon

> You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
> deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
> install install it.

But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going to have
difficulty!

I have a,
Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install backup and
will have to install it again
Benjamin

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
> > You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
> > deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
> > install install it.
> >

> But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going to have
> difficulty!

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Ben Jamin wrote:

> I have a,
> Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install backup and
> will have to install it again
> Benjamin
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>

>>"Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must be
>>>deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would just need to
>>>install install it.
>>>

>>But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going to have
>>difficulty!

If it's on the CD it will be in the \MSFT\ValueADD\Ntbackup folder as
ntbackup.msi or download it from here:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Gordon

"Rock" <rock@mail.nospam.net> wrote in message
> Ben Jamin wrote:
>
>> I have a,
>> Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
>> this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install
>> backup and will have to install it again
>> Benjamin
>>
>> "Gordon" wrote:
>>

>>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message

>>> But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's
>>> going to have difficulty!
>
> If it's on the CD it will be in the \MSFT\ValueADD\Ntbackup folder as
> ntbackup.msi or download it from here:
> http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#backup_home

If it's a Dell recovery CD then the OP won't be able to extract NTBackup
from there. He'll have to download it from your link.

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Gordon wrote:

> If it's a Dell recovery CD then the OP won't be able to extract NTBackup
> from there. He'll have to download it from your link.

Like I wrote - if it's on the CD...

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001

=?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEphbWlu?= <BenJamin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> I have a,
> Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
> this came w/ computer from dell. Is that the CD I use to Install
> backup and will have to install it again
> Benjamin
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
>> "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
>> > You are "entitled" to have MS Backup installed on your PC. It must
>> > be deilver since it is part of the XP Hom install CD. You would
>> > just need to install install it.

You are only "entitled" to have it if you bought a version of XP that
includes it. Some (many?) OEM versions do not include it - this is why
it is in a folder named ValueADD on the retail XP CD, as it is part of
the "value that is added" that you get by paying more for that version.

>> But if the OP has a recovery CD rather than an XP CD then he's going
>> to have difficulty!

It's there on my Dell CD.

Rock wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
> > If it's a Dell recovery CD then the OP won't be able to extract NTBackup
>
>> from there. He'll have to download it from your link.
>

> Like I wrote - if it's on the CD...

The CD Dell gave me is.
Reinstallation CD
MS Windows XP Home Eddition