Windows XP Freezes during install

July 26, 2005 10:05:01 PM

Hi,
I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk space
with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the setup
of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.

To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
adaptec ATA PCI
controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is a
pci modem and a Video card.

The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or the
processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch
July 26, 2005 10:15:50 PM

mitch wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk space
> with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
> During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the setup
> of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
>
> To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
> different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
> adaptec ATA PCI
> controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is a
> pci modem and a Video card.
>
> The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
> thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or the
> processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>

> Mitch

Do some hardware troubleshooting to start. Download a drive diagnostic
utility from the hard drive manufacturer's web site. That will create a
bootable floppy or Cd. Boot from that and run the diagnsotics.

Test the memory using memtest86+ and the windows memory diagnostic.

http://www.memtest.org/
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

And yet a third corroborating opinion hat says RAM. The first time i ran
into this it drove me crazy.

I like the ultimate boot cd.
Has mem tests and lots of other stuff.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
> space
> with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
> During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
> setup
> of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
>
> To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
> different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
> adaptec ATA PCI
> controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
> pci modem and a Video card.
>
> The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
> thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
> the
> processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>

> Mitch

July 27, 2005 5:19:48 AM

Mitch, flaky ram will do that on occasion. If you have two modules swap
one out.
"mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
> space
> with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
> During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
> setup
> of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
>
> To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
> different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
> adaptec ATA PCI
> controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
> pci modem and a Video card.
>
> The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
> thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
> the
> processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>

> Mitch

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:34:40 PM

First, are you doing a fresh install or just a re-install? If you are just
doing a re-install, you may be encountering the disk space issue.

"mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
> space
> with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
> During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
> setup
> of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
>
> To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
> different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
> adaptec ATA PCI
> controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
> pci modem and a Video card.
>
> The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
> thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
> the
> processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
>

> Mitch

Anonymous
July 27, 2005 3:34:41 PM

I am doing a fresh install. I reformatted the hard drive. I ran some memory
tests with the utilities that were mentioned in the above responses and it
passed all the tests. Any other thoughts?

Mitch

!