Windows XP Freezes during install

Hi,
I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk space
with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the setup
of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.

To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
adaptec ATA PCI
controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is a
pci modem and a Video card.

The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or the
processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Mitch
5 answers Last reply
More about windows freezes install

    mitch wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk space
    > with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
    > During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the setup
    > of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
    >
    > To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
    > different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
    > adaptec ATA PCI
    > controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is a
    > pci modem and a Video card.
    >
    > The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
    > thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or the
    > processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    >

    > Mitch

    Do some hardware troubleshooting to start. Download a drive diagnostic
    utility from the hard drive manufacturer's web site. That will create a
    bootable floppy or Cd. Boot from that and run the diagnsotics.

    Test the memory using memtest86+ and the windows memory diagnostic.

    http://www.memtest.org/
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    And yet a third corroborating opinion hat says RAM. The first time i ran
    into this it drove me crazy.

    I like the ultimate boot cd.
    Has mem tests and lots of other stuff.
    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    --
    Manny Borges
    MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    -- Marty Feldman
    "mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
    > space
    > with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
    > During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
    > setup
    > of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
    >
    > To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
    > different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
    > adaptec ATA PCI
    > controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
    > pci modem and a Video card.
    >
    > The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
    > thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
    > the
    > processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    >

    > Mitch

    Mitch, flaky ram will do that on occasion. If you have two modules swap
    one out.
    "mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
    > space
    > with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
    > During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
    > setup
    > of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
    >
    > To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
    > different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
    > adaptec ATA PCI
    > controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
    > pci modem and a Video card.
    >
    > The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
    > thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
    > the
    > processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    >

    > Mitch

    First, are you doing a fresh install or just a re-install? If you are just
    doing a re-install, you may be encountering the disk space issue.

    "mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
    > space
    > with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
    > During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
    > setup
    > of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
    >
    > To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
    > different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
    > adaptec ATA PCI
    > controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
    > pci modem and a Video card.
    >
    > The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
    > thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
    > the
    > processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    >

    > Mitch

    I am doing a fresh install. I reformatted the hard drive. I ran some memory
    tests with the utilities that were mentioned in the above responses and it
    passed all the tests. Any other thoughts?

    Mitch

    "Yves Leclerc" wrote:

    > First, are you doing a fresh install or just a re-install? If you are just
    > doing a re-install, you may be encountering the disk space issue.
    >

    > "mitch" <mitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I have a windows xp professional computer. Due to running out of disk
    > > space
    > > with junk programs and lots of spyware, I decided to reinstall Windows XP.
    > > During the installation process, the computer will freeze between the
    > > setup
    > > of the computer partitions or when I start to format the hard drive.
    > >
    > > To try and troubleshoot, I tried different Windows XP professional CD's,
    > > different hard drives I new were working, different CDROM drive, and a
    > > adaptec ATA PCI
    > > controller card to try and resolve. The only components in the computer is
    > > pci modem and a Video card.
    > >
    > > The computer was working fine before the reinstall process. The only other
    > > thing I can think of would being the problem would be the motherboard or
    > > the
    > > processor. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    > >

    > > Mitch

Computers Windows XP