Upgrading RAM on a semi old computer?

daoster

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
This question concerns my eMachines T1140. The stats are as follows:

Intel Celeron 1.10 gHZ
128 MB SDRAM
Windows XP home edition.

Thru crucial.com, I've discovered that the computer in question can have a max RAM ammount of 512 MB and can only take 256 MB sticks or lower.

Well, I've since went and bought a 256 SDRAM stick (Patriot 256MB PC133 CL3). Now when I go to install it, I get three beeps, and the computer won't start up properly. Nothing is even shown on the screen. I've tried both slots, and the results are the same. Now when I just put back the original 128 stick, it boots up like normal, once again. I've also tried having both sticks of RAM on both slots, and the computer starts up normally (though it'll only read the 128 stick).

On crucial.com, the RAM it recommended was only a CL2 (for both the 128 and 256 sticks), however, the original stick of RAM was a CL3, so I assume this isn't the problem.

I would also note that other than the actual MB of RAM, everything on the new RAM is the same as the original. Meaning on the original 128 SDRAM, it was also a PC133 133 MHz CL3.

Anybody got any ideas as to why the computer isn't working with the 256 RAM?

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Beeps might indicate that the memory is not seated properly. You want to make sure the memory clicks into place- you need to gradually apply pressure until the module snaps in place.

Buying memory for SDRAM systems is not as easy as you think. There are a few concerns. SDRAM (PC-133) systems are older and you have to pay attention to the type of modules you are using.

For PC-133, 128MB modules are normally built using (16Mx8) chips. They can also be built using (8Mx8) or (16Mx16).

For a 256MB module, both (16Mx8) and (32Mx8) are popular configurations for SDRAM. However, some motherboards will not accept 32Mx8 modules because the motherboard is not capable of handling the density: 32M. 512MB SDRAM modules are normally built using the same (32Mx8)chips.

A 256MB (16Mx8) module has chips on both sides of the module's PCB (Printed Circuit Board), whereas the 256MB module built from (32Mx8) has chips on only a single side.

You can typically install a CL3 PC-133 module in a system that requires CL2 PC-100 (the 133 module is backwards compatible), so you are probably right: This is not the issue.

You might be able to find a part number on the chip which can be referenced through the manufacturer's web site. This way you can confirm the chip configuration.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem