Sign in with
Your question

Java 7 not working in any browser

Last response: in Windows 7
October 1, 2012 11:15:09 PM

Hello,

I'm using java 7 latest version. I've installed the 32 version and am using windows 7 x64. Java is not working in any browser. I've uninstalled all browsers, reinstalled them, removed older versions of java and the current one and reinstalled it. I've also been into the Java settings to ensure Mozilla is enabled. I've also turned off all firewalls and virus software. Nothing is working and I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

When loading the java splash screen shows and it looks like it will load, but then it fails, always with a ClassNotFoundException.

More about : java working browser

a b $ Windows 7
October 1, 2012 11:26:11 PM

Hi :) 

Have you tried the 64 bit java with a 64 bit browser ?

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 1, 2012 11:52:12 PM

Hi Brett,

thanks for the suggestion. I have just installed the 64 bit version and tried it in IE8 64 bit. Still no joy.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 12:41:30 AM

ojaybee said:
Hi Brett,

thanks for the suggestion. I have just installed the 64 bit version and tried it in IE8 64 bit. Still no joy.

Hi :) 

IE8 ??? You are kidding right ??

I meant IE9 64bit +Java 64 bit...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:43:46 AM

I'd rather not install IE 9. I never use it and even if it does work, it still won't solve any of the 32 bit problems. Not sure what to try next, but thanks again Brett :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 12:48:05 AM

what are you try to run in java?
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:03:35 AM

Firstly the java test page from the oracle website:

www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

and originally the GLOVIS website from the USGS:

http://glovis.usgs.gov/

I've tested various other pages that contain java and had no luck with any of them.

Just to add to that, java is working fine from the cmd and the splash screen does pop up in the web browser but then it just hangs and eventually fails. The error is always a ClassNotFoundException, different classes not being found for different applets.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 2:06:47 AM

what happens if you press the download in the java link,also the glovis ask me to install the java viewer to see everything and work well
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:16:22 AM

Hi Scout,

I've tried the download link, have uninstalled and reinstalled Java several times (different versions) and still it is not working. I've also tried uninstalling it and visiting websites to follow the Java links that pop up. Again no joy. I've tried starting Firefox in safe mode as well to see if it was a conflict with another plugin but again that didn't work.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 2:20:58 AM

did you firefox is up to date and check under tools in it for complementary modules if you see the java modules and what are the number
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:31:46 AM

scout_03 said:
did you firefox is up to date and check under tools in it for complementary modules if you see the java modules and what are the number

Hi Scout,

Firefox is up to date (v 15). I'm not sure where you mean to look when you say tools? I've been into options and checjed applications.... is that what you meant? I set the java module to open executable jar files. There's nothing else in the application list that looks like it would useful (nothing like applet or anything).

Still not working.

Could you be more specific on how to enter the tools if I'm barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks again!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 2:40:42 AM

it is just before the question mark on top of firefox click on and you see what are the complementary modules ( it is not in the option one ) that firefox got then under plug in you see a title name check if plug in are up to date open that look for the java one
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:57:48 AM

Sorry Scout, I cannot see any question marks on my browser. If you mean the addons, I definitely have the ad don installed and enabled. I do have the developer plugin too but have disabled that until I eork this out.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 3:07:13 AM

what are the version number of those java one
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:18:18 AM

Java (TM) SE 7 U7 10.7.2.11

Java deployment toolkit 7.0.70.11 10.7.2.11 (disabled)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 3:31:18 AM

i got the same but mine end at 10 and not 11 and java tel me there are up to date do you have the java console install for firefox version 6.0.33 this is in firefox extensions i am using that to find missing update on software http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:28:05 PM

Hi Scout, I can't find the java console install for firefox 6.0.33 anywhere, only the version 5 ....... ???

Still today I'm having no luck with this and it is infuriating as I really need some data from the GLOVIS site.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 3, 2012 1:23:07 AM

you wont need to update the console but in the java web link find something that the applet are not activated all the time in the browser i send you the french link and see activation dans un navigateur web http://www.java.com/fr/download/help/index_using.xml?us... so when i open glovis it ask me to install the viewer to see all the page
m
l
October 30, 2012 2:03:49 AM

I had this same exact problem for a week. It was my firewall. I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. I told it to "Snooze Firewall for 5 minutes.." and the applets load correctly! Even after I turned the firewall back on, it still worked (because they were already loaded). I just shut it off long enough to load the applet I want to use.

..I should probably check out my firewall settings so I don't have to do that every single time. I've never had this problem before.
m
l
November 7, 2012 6:35:25 AM

sketty said:
I had this same exact problem for a week. It was my firewall. I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite. I told it to "Snooze Firewall for 5 minutes.." and the applets load correctly! Even after I turned the firewall back on, it still worked (because they were already loaded). I just shut it off long enough to load the applet I want to use.

..I should probably check out my firewall settings so I don't have to do that every single time. I've never had this problem before.

This was very helpful, I have been having problems since updating to Java 7 and tried every 'fix' on their website, uninstalling reinstalling etc.

To make it work i went into the alert log in zone alarm, found the website i was trying to use listed as blocked, added it to safe zones and it worked.

Big thanks :love: 
m
l
April 19, 2013 5:00:19 AM

SOLVED JAVA 7 PROBLEM WITH WINDOWS 7 64 BIT

I could not use java 7 in any browser after I upgraded from java 6, java was enabled in IE options as well as from control panel and removed old versions and cleared cache. Turned out that the problem was that although I have a 64 bit system, I was supposed to install a 32 bit java, 64 bit systems use a 32 bit IE as default, so IE needed a 32 bit java. It was recommended that 64 bit java installed first, then 32 bit java second so you retain both versions. See info here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

Since finding the solution to this problem took me so long, here is an additional not that may be helpful.

For others, I found the info below, which seemed like a good lead, but did not work for me, perhaps good for others.

Problem with internet explorer 10, if java 7 is installed before java 6 or older is uninstalled. It corrupts the registry file. Uninstall ALL java versions then run the ms fixit below, reboot and Reinstall java 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_U...

What it fixes...

•Removes bad registry key on 64 bit operating systems.
•Windows registry keys that control the upgrade (patching) data that become corrupted.
•Resolves problems that prevent new programs from being installed.
•Resolves problems that prevent programs from being completely uninstalled and blocking new installations and updates.
•Use this troubleshooter for an uninstall only if the program fails to uninstall using the windows add/remove programs feature.

m
l
April 19, 2013 5:00:19 AM

I could not use java 7 in any browser after I upgraded from java 6, java was enabled in IE options as well as from control panel and removed old versions and cleared cache. Turned out that the problem was that although I have a 64 bit system, I was supposed to install a 32 bit java, 64 bit systems use a 32 bit IE as default, so IE needed a 32 bit java. It was recommended that 64 bit java installed first, then 32 bit java second so you retain both versions. See info here:

Since finding the solution to this problem took me so long, here is an additional not that may be helpful.

For others, I found the info below, which seemed like a good lead, but did not work for me, perhaps good for others.

Problem with internet explorer 10, if java 7 is installed before java 6 or older is uninstalled. It corrupts the registry file. Uninstall ALL java versions then run the ms fixit below, reboot and Reinstall java 7.

What it fixes...

•Windows registry keys that control the upgrade (patching) data that become corrupted.
•Resolves problems that prevent programs from being completely uninstalled and blocking new installations and updates.
•Use this troubleshooter for an uninstall only if the program fails to uninstall using the windows add/remove programs feature.

m
l
April 19, 2013 6:13:35 AM

I refuse to use IE. As a web developer I have learned to dislike it... intensely. Firefox is choice but recently it's an update a week which is irritating and still Java is not functioning correctly. Chrome, no complaints but just used to FF now. Given that Java works in Chrome I just use that if I need to.
m
l
April 24, 2013 12:11:11 AM

I have the same problem as you ojaybee. Did you managed to solve it?

Java 7 ver21 (latest version atm) isn't working in any browser (tested IE, FF, Chrome) yet java programs work. Although I'm not using 64x bit windows 7 hence I'm using 32 bit Java and of course never installed 64 bit Java. I've done the same as you disabled firewall, anti-virus, uninstalled and reinstalled java, checked java settings to enable it in browsers also I tried other suggestions from this thread but I couldn't solve it.

Java browser plugin simply hangs (even java's security prompt doesn't shows up) in any browser, and I don't know anymore what to do to make it work...
m
l
April 24, 2013 3:46:48 PM

Live2Mod said:
I have the same problem as you ojaybee. Did you managed to solve it?

Java 7 ver21 (latest version atm) isn't working in any browser (tested IE, FF, Chrome) yet java programs work. Although I'm not using 64x bit windows 7 hence I'm using 32 bit Java and of course never installed 64 bit Java. I've done the same as you disabled firewall, anti-virus, uninstalled and reinstalled java, checked java settings to enable it in browsers also I tried other suggestions from this thread but I couldn't solve it.

Java browser plugin simply hangs (even java's security prompt doesn't shows up) in any browser, and I don't know anymore what to do to make it work...

Hi,

You are not alone...
I spent already 2 full days... only sleeping for 3 hours, testing several options, and it still doesn't work.
Several browsers tested, several users, several java versions, several restorepoints used , installed and tested with and without anti-virus...
Installations succeeded, but all hopeless... Java browser plugin simply hangs (even java's security prompt doesn't shows up) in any browser, and I don't know anymore what to do to make it work... HELP Please...
m
l
April 25, 2013 1:52:46 PM

Aha Xinix said:

Hi,

You are not alone...
I spent already 2 full days... only sleeping for 3 hours, testing several options, and it still doesn't work.
Several browsers tested, several users, several java versions, several restorepoints used , installed and tested with and without anti-virus...
Installations succeeded, but all hopeless... Java browser plugin simply hangs (even java's security prompt doesn't shows up) in any browser, and I don't know anymore what to do to make it work... HELP Please...

Thank you for the response. You gave me an idea on how could I track down the problem more efficiently. I'll try to make another Windows user with very limited permissions to see if there are any software conflicts or anything else.
m
l
April 25, 2013 7:49:13 PM

I have been having a lot of difficulties trying to update my Java 7. It wouldn't download in any browser. My computer wouldn't even let me uninstall Java 7 Update 7 but following Henry Thompson's suggestions, I was able to use the fixit program from Microsoft to finally uninstall that stupid program. By uninstalling Java 7 Update 7 and disabling my anti-virus, I was finally able to download Java 7 Update 21. Thanks Henry! I definitely suggest running the program he listed to see if it can help you fix whatever problem is causing you not to be able to download the program.
m
l
May 21, 2013 1:45:06 PM

Im in a real bind with this. Im on an enterprise system everything is 32 bit with a few exceptions. One of the exceptions, a 64 bit machine MUST HAVE java 6.37 installed for a specialty program that is critical and not compatible with Java 7. We also run Java 7.21 for other sites. There is a site (FAA site) this PC must contact. The site help desk says they require Java 7.17. That device currently has:
Java 6.37 64bit
Java 7.17 64 bit
Java 7.17 32 bit
The Java site reports back that Java 7.17 is installed. When my customer tries to log into that FAA site, he gets the error message "Java is required. Please enable Java or go to Java.com to install Java."
1) Java is enabled for this user's Browser.
2) Reg key for HKLM\software\javasoft\jre\7.0.21\iexplorer I manually set this to '1' as well as setting the Java console.
3) Deleted users sun folder under appdata
4) Deleted the entire Java Cache
no change in symptoms. The site's helpdesk is saying that java is not enabled for his browser. If not, I have no idea what else to do to enable it. I can't really uninstall his Java and reinstall it without creating quite a nightmare (not that I'm not having a nightmare over this now as it is)....
any suggestions?

Due to this being a Corporate enterprise Domain, I cannot run any third party registry editing tools.... whatever the real solution is, I have to find it straight up...
m
l
May 25, 2013 2:58:38 PM

I finally realized why Java 7 u21 wasn't working in any browser. I tried a lot of different stuff, like re-installing it, deleting certain registry files connected to it, etc. all with no success. When I installed the older stable Java 7 u17 (same was with Java 6) version it works and same goes with the latest early access Java 7 u40ea version. Looks like the problem lies in the Java u21 version itself. To fix it try to use another Java version while waiting for a newer Java update.

What might be noteworthy as well is that during the self update process from u17 to u21 (I made it quite a while ago) there was an error which, if I remember correctly, claimed to have some problems with the java version codes or something similar. There is some probability that due to this error even after re-installing java 7 u21 version there are issues with Java browser applets.
m
l
May 27, 2013 8:58:07 AM

I know this wont help most,

I have Devicelock installed on our network and after spending 2 days running through the other fixes i just thought remove it and everything worked.
Devicelock had no protocols blocked, just the service itself is enough to stop Java working.
m
l
July 7, 2013 8:18:39 AM

Well happy days. I finally got it working. Chrome just started working for some reason (I think another Java update) but Firefox was still hanging and or crashing. With Firefox I went to menu>troubleshooting>reset firefox and now it's fine. I guess it must have been a plugin / extension / add on problem.
m
l
July 16, 2013 3:44:35 PM

I had the same problem, and I tried everything posted here. But this is my solution: Control Panel > Java > Security Tab > Activate java content in browser: ENABLED.

Make sure you have Java enabled in your browser.
m
l
October 10, 2013 1:01:19 AM

It's kind of funny none of those registry fixes did it for me. What I did is:

Go to control panel > search "Java" > Launch that configuration tool
Select the "Java" tab > click "View.."
Double click "Runtime Parameters" field and erase anything that is there
press Enter > press "OK" > Press "Apply" > Press "OK" again
that did it for me.
m
l
October 24, 2013 4:54:01 AM

If any of you guys can help I am stuck still tried all the solutions everyone here has posted.

Java stopped working after the newest patch the jre-7u45-windows-i586.

Even when i go back to previous version it wont work.

I am lost what to do and i really need java on my pc. please help

It just stays this way all the time won't go on.
Tried in all different browser no change
m
l
March 13, 2014 8:20:01 PM

Henry,

If you're out there, I want to thank you. I'm having the same issue with the new Java update, I have 3 64 bit machines running, and they didnt work on any of them, until after a good 4 hours of research, trail and errors, brought me to your post. You are my hero, the solution defies logic, but it works. Can't imagine how much time it took you to figure this out yourself. But thanks again.. Who knew that installing both 64bit and 32bit versions would resolve the issue of java not working on any browser?!
Thanks again hero.

Cheers
Will

Henry Thompson said:

What it fixes...

m
l
March 13, 2014 8:20:05 PM

Henry,

If you're out there, I want to thank you. I'm having the same issue with the new Java update, I have 3 64 bit machines running, and they didnt work on any of them, until after a good 4 hours of research, trail and errors, brought me to your post. You are my hero, the solution defies logic, but it works. Can't imagine how much time it took you to figure this out yourself. But thanks again.. Who knew that installing both 64bit and 32bit versions would resolve the issue of java not working on any browser?!
Thanks again hero.

Cheers
Will

Henry Thompson said:

What it fixes...

m
l
!