Losing Internet access from XP 802.1b & g clients

I have two XP machines that are seeing the same problem
when connecting to an 700 base station: Each XP machine
is randomly losing the ability to access the internet -
when this happens, the connection remains down even after
disconnecting the Microsoft wireless device (one machine
is using the USB b card, the other is using the PCMCIA g
device) and rebooting the machine - the connection is
restored eventually for no apparent reason. When this
happens, the Microsoft Broadband software on each XP
machine reports that Internet access is lost.
1 answer Last reply
More about losing internet access clients

    The first thing you want to check (and let us know) is
    whether you still can access the router at 192.168.2.1 when
    the connection goes down.

    If you can, then you have an Internet connection problem;
    otherwise it's a wireless problem.

    For the INternet problem, run command prompt and enter ping
    followed by the name of web site without the http:// (e.g.
    ping microsoft.com). Times shoudl be in 100's for each
    hoop, otherwise there is a traffic slowdown. If it says
    that it cannot resolve, then you have a traffic or DNS
    problem. Sometimes these problems go away after a while.
    Could also be a modem problem -- sometimes it is sufficient
    to power it down, wait 3mn, power it back on.

    If it is a wireless problem, you need to determine whether
    is a misconfiguration or interference from other networks,
    phones, microwave, refrigerators... I would start by
    checking that the wifi cards are blinking (this happens
    when they are trying to reach the base station
    unsuccessfully, or transmitting data). Also check the
    router and wifi cards are using the same channel, and ieee
    802.1x is unchecked. Otherwise, try setting all the
    equipment to channel 1 (or channel 11) -- this changes the
    operation frequency slightly, reducing interference
    sometimes -- setting the router vertical and away of walls
    also helps.

Routers Internet Access Microsoft Windows XP Networking