formatting hard drive

i can use fdisk to delete partitions, format c:, start up with cd rom
support but when i try to use cdrom to install xp i am unable to do
this is dos mode.

what does that mean? is my fdisk no good? where can i get the proper
fdisk?

More about formatting hard drive

    The old DOS-based Fdisk is not supported with Windows XP.

    Clean Install Windows XP

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "michelleshoe" wrote:

    | i can use fdisk to delete partitions, format c:, start up with cd rom
    | support but when i try to use cdrom to install xp i am unable to do
    | this is dos mode.
    |
    | what does that mean? is my fdisk no good? where can i get the proper
    | fdisk?

    Hi

    Have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens regarding a 'Clean'
    install of XP:

    "Clean Install Windows XP "

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "michelleshoe" <michelleshoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >i can use fdisk to delete partitions, format c:, start up with cd rom
    > support but when i try to use cdrom to install xp i am unable to do
    > this is dos mode.
    >
    > what does that mean? is my fdisk no good? where can i get the proper
    > fdisk?

Fdisk Formatting Hard Drives Windows XP