Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fan on Laptop went out

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 23, 2009 4:34:31 PM

I have an HP dv9000 and I recently replaced the motherboard. I noticed that the fan on the cooler stopped working. Before I order a new one I am wondering if there is a way to test the fan with a multimeter to make sure that it is the fan and not the new motherboard I bought. The model number for the fan is KDB05605HB. The only reason I think it might be the motherboard is because the fan was working on the previous motherboard. Thanks for the help.

More about : fan laptop

October 23, 2009 9:14:49 PM

try using a 6v to9v battery to see if it works
m
l

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2009 9:55:51 PM

I wouldn't just blindly wire a battery to your fan to see if it works. There will be a sticker on the fan which says how much potential it operates on - you can use that (and an external power supply) to test it if it's working correctly.

Your fan is probably dead, though; mechanical parts are far more vulnerable to failure than solid-state electronics. You can try and resurrect it with some compressed air in the motor (and perhaps some WD-40), but it's better just to get a new one.
October 30, 2009 3:19:35 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies. It was the port on the motherboard that was bad. I tried it on the old board and everything fired up fine. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
!