Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Sync iphone to ranger data collector running microsoft ce

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
April 3, 2012 6:29:18 PM

I am a land surveyor using a ranger data collector running Windows CE. I can't get the iPhone to recognize the data collector when trying to connect bluetooth or by usb. I would like to be able to transfer text files from my iPhone's email to the data collector. Is it even possible, or is it just a Apple & Windows issue with no work around?

Scott
April 4, 2012 4:32:46 PM

Don't think Windows CE will transfer data to an iPhone, you'd have to check with whoever made the data collector though. Many of those devices have a semi-custom build of CE.

Windows CE is much older than the iPhone, would be tough to get them to communicate.
Score
October 28, 2012 1:12:47 PM

Scottyjordy said:
I am a land surveyor using a ranger data collector running Windows CE. I can't get the iPhone to recognize the data collector when trying to connect bluetooth or by usb. I would like to be able to transfer text files from my iPhone's email to the data collector. Is it even possible, or is it just a Apple & Windows issue with no work around?

Scott

I have the same problem except I am using an Android. I used to be able to connect a USB cable from the phone to the Ranger, and use the phone as a storage device to transfer files back and forth. Since the last update it won't recognize the phone anymore. I do know that the Ranger can't send files via bluetooth (at least that's what it says when I connect the two). I don't have a problem connecting through bluetooth though, so I downloaded a bluetooth file transfer app on my phone, but the Ranger doesn't have that capability apparently. You might give it a try though. You never know. The only solution I have come up with is to take a laptop with me; transfer the file from my phone to the laptop, then from the laptop to a thumb drive, then from the thumb drive to the Ranger. It's a pain, but better than driving all the way back to the office to download a file.
Score
December 27, 2012 3:48:23 PM

Scottyjordy said:

Scott

I've been trying to find a way to connect my i-Phone to my Topcon FC 2500 for a while now with no success. My intent is to send/receive text files between office and field. Seems extremely useful, can't figure out why somebody hasn't written an app for it. I'm certain there would be lots of $s to be made.
Score
!