[40K] FLUFF Query for Ultramarines

The Gauntlets Of Ultramar were taken from a follower of the Ruinous
Powers.............

Would it not be heretical and impure to keep and use these in such a 'Codex'
Chapter ??

:)

"Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> wrote in
message news:LmYSd.204315$K7.101156@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> The Gauntlets Of Ultramar were taken from a follower of the Ruinous
> Powers.............
>
> Would it not be heretical and impure to keep and use these in such a
> 'Codex' Chapter ??

actually it says "taken BACK", which is the polite way of saying that the
"champion of the ruinous powers" was an ultramarine renegade.

It says

'Taken back from a fell Champion of the Ruinous Powers......'

which still suggests that these would be impure, unholy and therefore use of
such could be considered heretical....

message news:XKZSd.204895$K7.177907@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> It says
>
> 'Taken back from a fell Champion of the Ruinous Powers......'
>
> which still suggests that these would be impure, unholy and therefore use
> of such could be considered heretical....

probably, by the inquisition or the ministorum. however the ultramarines
are hardly gonna invite outside opinion on the recovery of chapter
artefacts, or advertize the fact that they were used by chaos marines. I'm
pretty sure the imperial authorities value the goodwill of the ultramarines
highly enough not to make trouble about it.

True but you are given the impression that the Ultras were stringently loyal
and moreover pure.....

"Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> wrote in
message news:n6_Sd.204954$K7.175653@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

> True but you are given the impression that the Ultras were stringently
> loyal and moreover pure.....

they're still marines, which means they effectively set their own morals and
precedents. the fact that they mostly coincide with "enlightened" Imperial
doctrine is the reason they've been the most highly-regarded "trustworthy"
chapter since the heresy, but it doesn't mean they're just towing an
Imperial line. given that the gauntlets are a chapter heirloom, presumably
from the time of the great crusade, it would have been dishonorable to the
ultramarines NOT to have reclaimed them.

"Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:n6_Sd.204954$K7.175653@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> True but you are given the impression that the Ultras were stringently
> loyal and moreover pure.....

Probably doesn't really matter. There are quite a few fractions within the
inquisition to mood any discussion wether something is heretical or not.
Remember, there are inquisitor binding demons into people thus creating
daemon hosts. Those inquisitor are not heretics they are radicals. There
certainly are inquisitors who would think that using such a sinister
artifact is heretic but they will hardly try to excommunicate the
Ultramarines. And every artifact being used is thoroughly tested and blessed
to purge it of all taints. Also all the chapters don't acknoledge the
ministorum the way the rest of human kind does. They have their own belief.
If the Ultramarines say those Gauntlets are pure and good to use, who would
argue with them? While the inquisition have a formal superiosity over the
chapters it is more like two walls of a building. Both are necessary to
protect human kind. While chapters have been declared heretic it is nothing
done lightly. All politics are murky but those waters are far beyond that.
In short:
The question is not wether these Gauntlets are considered pure by the
inquisition or the ministorum but by the Ultramarines. They argue that those
Gauntlets were used by their patriach and so became something of an holy
icon. Afterall it is their belief and no one has the power (spiritual and
military wise) to change that. Well, unless of course some High Lord of
Terra throughs his weight around.

--
Ecke

Newsgroup FAQ @ http://www.rgmw.org

Due to technology humankind produced weapons of mass destruction. Without
technology it would just take a bit longer.

"Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:XKZSd.204895$K7.177907@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> It says
>
> 'Taken back from a fell Champion of the Ruinous Powers......'
>
> which still suggests that these would be impure, unholy and therefore use
> of such could be considered heretical....

Again, not if they were rededicated.

Excellent !!!

This is what I like... good game/background orientated discourse

"Ecke" <White-Viper@gmx.de> wrote in message

> "Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> schrieb
> im Newsbeitrag news:XKZSd.204895$K7.177907@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> It says
>>
>> 'Taken back from a fell Champion of the Ruinous Powers......'
>>
>> which still suggests that these would be impure, unholy and therefore use
>> of such could be considered heretical....
>
> Again, not if they were rededicated.

I would think that to a marine chapter, the fact of their reclamation is
more important than their rededication. they may not have actually been
taken up as weapons again for thousands of years afterwards, for all we
know.

"Snarfgargle the 43rd The Condottiere" <snargargle@thepalace.com> wrote in
message news:LmYSd.204315$K7.101156@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> The Gauntlets Of Ultramar were taken from a follower of the Ruinous

That doesn't make them a chaos artefact. According to the new marine codex,
they are ancient aretefacts that were kept in an imperial reclusiam, until
that reclusiam was attacked by chaos marines, one of whom took the
guantlets. They were subsequently taken back from the chaos champion by
Guilliman.

The Space Wolves are the ones with the heretical weapon. The Axe Morkai
(Grimnars axe) is a re-forged khornate daemon axe.

Rob