Laptop dims after startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstewart83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
A few days ago I noticed my Dell Inspiron 1526 Laptop LCD screen was dim. I checked to make sure the brightness settings were not changed, and that I was using A/C power. My brightness setting is at 100% and my power cord is working fine. I have not spilled anything on my computer. This sort of happened out of the blue. The strange thing is this, When I turn on my computer and it is starting up, the screen is bright and normal. However, while my startup programs are booting up in the taskbar menu in the bottom right corner of the screen, My computer suddenly goes dim. It is not completely black, but the change is obvious. I don't know if there is some kind of advanced setting that I can look at to see if I can fix this problem myself. I have been told my backlight may need to be replaced, but I find it strange that it is bright when I start up my laptop, but a minute or two later, it dims and stays dim.jdstewart83@gmail.com

I would recheck your power options, make sure you have the right power plan selected and you do not have anything forced. Not sure what software the dell comes with but there may be a conflict between windows own software and any that is supplied from dell.

jdstewart83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, I forgot to mention that I checked the power plan settings. I have always used the "Dell Recommended" settings. I have had the laptop for a little under 2 years, and this problem just started out of the blue. I don't know what you mean by making sure I have nothing "forced."

Thanks

What I mean is perhaps you have a setting that is not part of the usual power plan forced on.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do would be a system restore and see if that solves it.

Of course it may be a hardware fault but best hope not unless you have a decent warranty.

jdstewart83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I do have a warranty through Best Buy, but I recently moved and the closest location is about 4 hours away, I wanted to make sure it wasn't something silly before I took it all the way there. I am going to try the System Restore Option and see what happens.

Thanks

G

I have the exact same problem with my Dell Studio 15 laptop. It started a little over a week ago and isn't horrible but it is definitely noticeable. It is the normal brightness on start up but after I log in and programs begin to load, the screen it dims. When I try to change the brightness settings it says its at 100%. Have you found any way to fix this?
Thanks!

jdstewart83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Not yet, I have been told that I need to replace my backlight. Fortunately, I have a Best Buy extended warranty, so I have to take it to the Geek Squad so they can do it. You may have the same problem, or it could be something else... good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.