LCD DVI and Graphicscard questions

Xaphias

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2004
I'm thinking of Buying an Eizo Flexscan L997 for a friend. he's Had a Eizo Flexscan F77s 21" CRT now for 5years, but it's taking up to much space so he thought he'd switch to a flat panel display.

and what's the benefits of running Analog vs Digital? (VGA vs DVI)
and I ran into some questions. I was looking at matrox entry lvl cards $139-$169 and their maximum digital resolution is 1280x1024 per display.

Nvidia nor Ati says what their cards can display in digital resolution.
so I'm guessing a GF6200 or ATI X300 wont do?
thought I could save in some cash on a graphics card since no 3D performer is needed.

so what card do I need to feed a 1600x1200 LCD?
and what about refreshrates? how do they compare to CRT refreshrates. anything under 85Hz on a crt gives me a headache.
what about LCDs?
I'm sort of clueless when it comes to LCD displays.

so my question is graphicscard related

but I still thought it fitted in the flat panel forum.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Digital will be a little clearer (though barely noticeable unless you're looking for it). To run thru the analog cable the display signal is converted from digital to analog at the video card, travels thru the cable to the LCD and is converted back to digital there. Digital line doesn't get any conversions.

Most refreshes are set at 60hz - some can go to 85. The 'headache issue' (flickering) is 99% eliminated because of how LCDs work - they don't have to redraw the display X times per second because there are no phosphors to fade. I've heard of 1 person who says they can see flicker on an LCD. I can see flicker at anything under 72hz on a CRT and have never seen anything resembling flicker on LCDs (though I haven't used 'hundreds' of LCDs).

Don't know about the resolution issue, sorry - hopefully someone else will poke their head in and tell us.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

dhlucke

Polypheme
No headaches with LCD's. Don't worry about that. At 60Hz on a CRT I go crazy but my LCD is at 60Hz and I don't even think it's a factor like on CRT's.

Here's the only thing you want to consider. Get a videocard that can handle what you're doing. If you're playing games then you'll want something good. If all you care about is running at 16x12 in 2D then just about anything should run it. Maybe not the Matrox if that's what you read, but Nvidia and Ati shouldn't have a problem. Double check though. I've seen some of the cards not support some of the widescreen resolutions for example.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny