Sign in with
Your question

Making dual boot with windows xp.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 2, 2012 3:02:17 AM

Hi, I want to make dual boot because of battlefield 3 does not support XP. So, I have the disc with partitions C and D. There is Windows XP installed on D. I dont want to lose my data from D so my question is if i can format the C partition and install Windows 7 there without losing the data on D. Thank you.
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 3:12:32 AM

There's no reason you shouldn't be using Windows 7 by this point in time - unless you have specific software that was specifically written for XP and will not work on anything else.

Lose XP and get with the future - the future is now - Windows 7
a c 215 $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 12:58:20 PM

Installing a new OS only effects the partition that it's being installed onto and the boot loader. You should be able to install windows 7 and not effect your XP install.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 1:52:30 PM

If you want to create a dual boot system install Windows 7 after Windows XP doing it the other way around can cause complications. With your setup Installing Windows 7 on the C drive should automatically create a dual boot system.
October 2, 2012 3:42:27 PM

dingo07 said:
There's no reason you shouldn't be using Windows 7 by this point in time - unless you have specific software that was specifically written for XP and will not work on anything else.

Lose XP and get with the future - the future is now - Windows 7

Easy to say, but imagine that you have almost 120GB of data, and you have not place for them to store. The upgrade is near, well, XP is more than ten years old OS isn't it?
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 4:55:02 PM

data is not OS dependent

care to enlighten us on what this data is for, what program(s) was used to create it or manipulate it...?
October 2, 2012 5:03:49 PM

dingo07 said:
data is not OS dependent

care to enlighten us on what this data is for, what program(s) was used to create it or manipulate it...?

I know that data is not OS dependent, but when you want to install an OS on partition of the disc, you must format it first. That means ALL data on partition will be removed. Correct me if I am wrong
October 2, 2012 5:12:17 PM

There is every reason in the world to have a small XP partition since he has software that requires it to operate and the newer versions of Windows don't support it. This isn't an uncommon scenario, I'll be doing the same with Windows 8 as I have software and hardware that won't work (same as many thousands of others I imagine).
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 5:13:36 PM

You are wrong, however, that is the preferred method - it's not a MUST that you format
you didn't answer my question - what data are you afraid of losing???
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 5:15:15 PM

womble said:
There is every reason in the world to have a small XP partition since he has software that requires it to operate and the newer versions of Windows don't support it. ...

Tell me where the OP said this is the case...
October 2, 2012 6:44:59 PM

dingo07 said:
You are wrong, however, that is the preferred method - it's not a MUST that you format
you didn't answer my question - what data are you afraid of losing???

Mostly sound records from law-courts. So, I haven't got to format before installing OS?
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 6:49:26 PM

is the data directly tied to a specific program or can you open the record with any document editor? have the records been scanned with ScanTrax or some form of document management software into a .pdf?
!