few rules question

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I'm trying to teach some guys how to play, and one of them came up with
some good questions i can't answer. First of all, if i army my leader
w/ a stormbolter and a plasma pistol, do i get to pick which weapon he
shoots with in the shooting turn. another question, in the codex when
it says one model can be equiped with a heavy weapon of sorts, can he
still use the bolter he already is armed with? there will probably be
more rules questions as their army starts growing

"Rick" <Blackknight2005@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to teach some guys how to play, and one of them came up with
> some good questions i can't answer. First of all, if i army my leader
> w/ a stormbolter and a plasma pistol, do i get to pick which weapon he
> shoots with in the shooting turn. another question, in the codex when
> it says one model can be equiped with a heavy weapon of sorts, can he
> still use the bolter he already is armed with? there will probably be
> more rules questions as their army starts growing

First up, tag your posts in this group (for 40K questions, put [40K] in the
subject, see the FAQ http://www.rgmw.org for the list of tags to use). It'll
save a lot of hassle later :p

Yes, you get to choose which weapon the leader shoots with.

No, the heavy weapon guy doesn't keep the bolter.

Dan

In article <1109174216.194972.127730@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Rick <Blackknight2005@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to teach some guys how to play, and one of them came up with
> some good questions i can't answer. First of all, if i army my leader
> w/ a stormbolter and a plasma pistol, do i get to pick which weapon he
> shoots with in the shooting turn.

Yes.

> another question, in the codex when
> it says one model can be equiped with a heavy weapon of sorts, can he
> still use the bolter he already is armed with? there will probably be
> more rules questions as their army starts growing

If the codex says "XX models may -exchange- [weapon] with [other
weapon]" then they lose the original weapon. If it says "XX models may
be given" or "can have [weapon or wargear]" then it is in addition.

Example: The Space Marines Codex says under Command Squad:

"Weapons: Bolter. The seargent can exchange his bolter for a bolt
pistol and close combat weapon at no extra points cost."

That means that if he takes the CC weapon, he doesn't have a bolter.

heavy weapons]"

That means that if you pay for the heavy weapon, they still have the
bolter (because they aren't exchanging the bolter for the heavy
weapon.)

Note also that they are still encumbered for having the heavy weapon,
even if they chose not to use it (like if they moved and have a
move-or-fire weapon).