User Accounts not working

a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 1:19:08 AM

My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he clicks
on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have tried
to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that occured.
He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is not a
virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
problem first. Any suggestions?

More about : user accounts working

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 4:14:10 AM

There is probably someone who knows exactly what the problem is and could
give you a more targeted fix. Until then you could try the following to
gather more information about the problem.

Are there any other user accounts allready on the machine that you can log
into? If so you might try to create a user from another account. If not
then you can reboot into safemode and log into the administrator account
(with Windows XP home you may only be able to log into the admin account
from safemode.) Now see if you can create a new account and if you can then
go ahead and create a new account (make sure the new account is an admin
account also.) Reboot and see if you can create a new user from the user
account you just created. If none of this works get back to us.

You could also try creating a user from the command line. To do this read
the following article...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251394

Good luck!

--
http://www.americantechie.com

"joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
> clicks
> on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
> tried
> to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
> occured.
> He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
> not a
> virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
> problem first. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 10:27:34 AM

Hi joeyjoe,

Click start/run, type

control userpasswords

Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:

control userpasswords2

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
> clicks
> on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
> tried
> to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
> occured.
> He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
> not a
> virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
> problem first. Any suggestions?
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 10:27:35 AM

Thanks Rick,

start/run control userpasswords does not work but start/run control
userpasswords2 does open the applet and I was able to add a user, but why
would clicking on User Accounts in Control Panel not work, how can I get it
to work instead of having to do start/run and typing control userpassswords2
every time we want to do some changes?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi joeyjoe,
>
> Click start/run, type
>
> control userpasswords
>
> Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
> > clicks
> > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
> > tried
> > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
> > occured.
> > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
> > not a
> > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
> > problem first. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 10:27:35 AM

Okay,
I have found out that nusrmgr.cpl in Windows\System32 is not opening. I am
going to try and copy from a working machine and placing on this laptop, but
I have a feeling that it won't work! Any other suggestions?

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi joeyjoe,
>
> Click start/run, type
>
> control userpasswords
>
> Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
> > clicks
> > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
> > tried
> > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
> > occured.
> > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
> > not a
> > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
> > problem first. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 10:30:08 AM

I have figured it out!! I copied nusrmgr.cpl from another machine and put it
on the laptop and did not work. So I let XP check all system files by running
Start/Run sfc /scannow and that did it. Thanks to all for their help.

Joe

"joeyjoe" wrote:

> Okay,
> I have found out that nusrmgr.cpl in Windows\System32 is not opening. I am
> going to try and copy from a working machine and placing on this laptop, but
> I have a feeling that it won't work! Any other suggestions?
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi joeyjoe,
> >
> > Click start/run, type
> >
> > control userpasswords
> >
> > Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
> >
> > control userpasswords2
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >
> > "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
> > > clicks
> > > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
> > > tried
> > > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
> > > occured.
> > > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
> > > not a
> > > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
> > > problem first. Any suggestions?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 12:56:09 AM

Cool, glad you got it working. The steps I gave you were to determine if the
nusrmgr.cpl file was damaged. It was.

--

!