User Accounts not working

My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he clicks
on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have tried
to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that occured.
He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is not a
virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
problem first. Any suggestions?
7 answers Last reply
More about user accounts working

    There is probably someone who knows exactly what the problem is and could
    give you a more targeted fix. Until then you could try the following to
    gather more information about the problem.

    Are there any other user accounts allready on the machine that you can log
    into? If so you might try to create a user from another account. If not
    then you can reboot into safemode and log into the administrator account
    (with Windows XP home you may only be able to log into the admin account
    from safemode.) Now see if you can create a new account and if you can then
    go ahead and create a new account (make sure the new account is an admin
    account also.) Reboot and see if you can create a new user from the user
    account you just created. If none of this works get back to us.

    You could also try creating a user from the command line. To do this read
    the following article...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;251394

    Good luck!

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
    > clicks
    > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
    > tried
    > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
    > occured.
    > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
    > not a
    > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
    > problem first. Any suggestions?

    Hi joeyjoe,

    Click start/run, type

    control userpasswords

    Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:

    control userpasswords2

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
    > clicks
    > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
    > tried
    > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
    > occured.
    > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
    > not a
    > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
    > problem first. Any suggestions?

    Thanks Rick,

    start/run control userpasswords does not work but start/run control
    userpasswords2 does open the applet and I was able to add a user, but why
    would clicking on User Accounts in Control Panel not work, how can I get it
    to work instead of having to do start/run and typing control userpassswords2
    every time we want to do some changes?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi joeyjoe,
    >
    > Click start/run, type
    >
    > control userpasswords
    >
    > Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
    > > clicks
    > > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
    > > tried
    > > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
    > > occured.
    > > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
    > > not a
    > > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
    > > problem first. Any suggestions?

    Okay,
    I have found out that nusrmgr.cpl in Windows\System32 is not opening. I am
    going to try and copy from a working machine and placing on this laptop, but
    I have a feeling that it won't work! Any other suggestions?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi joeyjoe,
    >
    > Click start/run, type
    >
    > control userpasswords
    >
    > Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
    >
    > control userpasswords2
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
    > > clicks
    > > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
    > > tried
    > > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
    > > occured.
    > > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
    > > not a
    > > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
    > > problem first. Any suggestions?

    I have figured it out!! I copied nusrmgr.cpl from another machine and put it
    on the laptop and did not work. So I let XP check all system files by running
    Start/Run sfc /scannow and that did it. Thanks to all for their help.

    Joe

    "joeyjoe" wrote:

    > Okay,
    > I have found out that nusrmgr.cpl in Windows\System32 is not opening. I am
    > going to try and copy from a working machine and placing on this laptop, but
    > I have a feeling that it won't work! Any other suggestions?
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi joeyjoe,
    > >
    > > Click start/run, type
    > >
    > > control userpasswords
    > >
    > > Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
    > >
    > > control userpasswords2
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > My nephew has a Compaq laptop with Widnows XP Home installed. When he
    > > > clicks
    > > > on User Accounts, nothing happens, so we cannot add a new user. I have
    > > > tried
    > > > to look at the Registry since I think it might be some change that
    > > > occured.
    > > > He has never connected to the Internet from this laptop so I know it is
    > > > not a
    > > > virus or spyware. I will update to SP2 but I wanted to take care of this
    > > > problem first. Any suggestions?

    Cool, glad you got it working. The steps I gave you were to determine if the
    nusrmgr.cpl file was damaged. It was.

    --

    >I have figured it out!! I copied nusrmgr.cpl from another machine and put
    >it
    > on the laptop and did not work. So I let XP check all system files by
    > running
    > Start/Run sfc /scannow and that did it. Thanks to all for their help.
    >
    > Joe
    >
    > "joeyjoe" wrote:
    >
    >> Okay,
    >> I have found out that nusrmgr.cpl in Windows\System32 is not opening. I
    >> am
    >> going to try and copy from a working machine and placing on this laptop,
    >> but
    >> I have a feeling that it won't work! Any other suggestions?
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi joeyjoe,
    >> >
    >> > Click start/run, type
    >> >
    >> > control userpasswords
    >> >
    >> > Then click ok, does this open the applet for you? If not, does this:
    >> >
    >> > control userpasswords2
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Best of Luck,
    >> >
    >> > Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    >> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >> > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >> >
    >> > "joeyjoe" <joeyjoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  7. On Start -> Run press a command: regsvr32.exe jscript.dll then Enter.
    Next, Start -> Run press a command:regsvr32.exe nusrmgr.cpl then Enter.
    And next, Start -> Run press a command:regsvr32.exe shgina.dll
    Restart Windows, then you can go to User Accounts

Laptops User Accounts Windows XP