MS Optical Intellimouse Adjustments

Using Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB 2 connection and Microsoft
IntelliPoint 4.1 software.

Do these mice deteriorate with use? Do I need a new driver? Suddenly
I'm plagued with sensitivity problems. In Mouse settings - pointer
speed medium - double click speed, now set at medium, but tried a range
of settings from slow to fast with no noticeable difference.

Specific problems are:

Word
Click and hold the left button down, move mouse to extend selection,
release mouse. Selection disappears as the cursor moves to the right of
the selection.

Losing the distinction between a single click and a double click.
Single click at the boundary between a space and the first letter of a
word or within a word: whole word selected, despite Tools > Options >
Edit > "When selecting, automatically select entire word" having no
check mark in it.

Ctrl-click a link to a file, on opening the file, often also picks up a
link within the file and opens that also.

Windows Explorer
Single click, to edit a file name, often opens the file

Make sure the area around the LED of the mouse is clean.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Bob Frolek" <BobFrolek@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Using Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB 2 connection and Microsoft
> IntelliPoint 4.1 software.
>
> Do these mice deteriorate with use? Do I need a new driver? Suddenly
> I'm plagued with sensitivity problems. In Mouse settings - pointer
> speed medium - double click speed, now set at medium, but tried a range
> of settings from slow to fast with no noticeable difference.
>
> Specific problems are:
>
> Word
> Click and hold the left button down, move mouse to extend selection,
> release mouse. Selection disappears as the cursor moves to the right of
> the selection.
>
> Losing the distinction between a single click and a double click.
> Single click at the boundary between a space and the first letter of a
> word or within a word: whole word selected, despite Tools > Options >
> Edit > "When selecting, automatically select entire word" having no
> check mark in it.
>
> Ctrl-click a link to a file, on opening the file, often also picks up a
> link within the file and opens that also.
>
> Windows Explorer
> Single click, to edit a file name, often opens the file

Thanks, Gary. Have cleaned up around the mouse and there is some
improvement. Still plagued with single click in Explorer being taken as
as double click.