Sign in with
Your question

Safely Remove Hardware

Last response: in Storage
July 15, 2005 3:24:21 PM

Whats up everyone, Ive encountered a weird problem... I just bought a new computer everything is going smooth except for one small problem, ever since the first boot there is a icon in the system tray that says "Safely Remove Hardware" when double clicked it brings me to a list with my hard drive on it with the message "Select the device you want to unplug or eject, and then click Stop. When Windows notifies you that it is safe to do so unplug the device from your computer"...

The problem is I dont want to unplug my harddrive, im not exactly sure why this is popping up and after playing around for while I cant make it go away, Ive never encountered this before so im hoping someone can help :) 

Prebuilt computer, Win XP Home, One single hard drive (which is the only thing showing up on the list of the window thats popping up).

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT

More about : safely remove hardware

July 15, 2005 9:26:26 PM

You must be using SATA HDD's. They are "hot swappable" or at least they are supposed to be (althought I think only SATA-II drives support this). Any time you have any kind of removeable device, this icon appears allowing you to stop it before you remove it. I don't know of a way to get rid of it, but you can just right click on the bar at the bottom of the screen and click properties. Then next to "hide inactive icons" click customize. Then hide the ones you don't want to see. Hope this helps
July 16, 2005 1:46:54 AM

This feature comes in handy if you have external USB drives. As I understand it by stopping the drive it completes the writing process and cleans out the cache, you can then disconnect or power down the drive. This also is used when removing USB jump drives.

....WW (5.1)
Related resources
a b G Storage
July 16, 2005 3:14:23 AM

I have the same thing. Shows my two 250 GB drives. just ignore it. Set windows to hide unused icons and it will stay hidden.
July 16, 2005 8:42:00 AM

Congratulations on having both an SATAII drive and SATAII controller, this is your new feature.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 16, 2005 1:00:46 PM

The nforce4 chipset, not the ultra, but the plain one I have in my board support hot swap. I did try it with my friend's computer and yes, it works..

I did plug an HDD to one of the port while windows was running. It found the new hardware, install it then bring the dialog windows about what I want to do with the disk.

I was a bit scary at first, but it was my friend's computer and he works for a computer shop, so he wanted to know too, and was willing to take the risk. We have the same board, so I can conclude that mine should do it too.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>
July 16, 2005 4:51:41 PM

"Congratulations on having both an SATAII drive and SATAII controller, this is your new feature."

:(  No more oversized fetticinie ribbons :( 

Was the smaller cable worth the pesky icon???

Also the problem with having the icon hiddien is the new arrow icon that pops up to see the hidden arrow icons. Maybe I should give some information about myself, I am a messy slob in real life but a neat freak with my computer, my desk top has 4 icons and one icon in the system tray (volume)... Having a new icon down there irks me to the point of not using the computer, I know I should see a doctor about this but im scared theyll throw me in a rubber room, so im assuming my only solution is to go back to ide drives?

Asus p4c800 Deluxe,1 Gig Mushkin PC3200 Dual Channel Level II V2,Pentium 4 3.0 512k 800fsb HT, Thermaltake Xaser III, Thermaltake Spark 7+, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro, eVGA GeForce 6800 GT
July 16, 2005 6:13:01 PM

Actually I've never had the issue with earlier SATA hardware and only seen it with SATAII hardware.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 16, 2005 8:37:09 PM

Dude...you should like go and meet some girls or something...

....WW (5.1)
July 17, 2005 2:18:38 AM

Get a multimedia keyboard for 15$ with volume control and get rid of the volume icon. this will leave you with only one icon in the system tray and spare you from the visit to the doctor.

But I suggest really a visit to the doctor anyway ...

July 17, 2005 12:15:29 PM

I guess its just a pet peeve when you cant customize a option how you want. I am slowly getting use to the inactive icon button :\

July 17, 2005 2:15:58 PM

If you start to use any external device, such as removable USB/FW HDD, memory stick,.., then you'll want to use that icon to make sure that everything is written to the device before removing to prevent data loss.

I use 2 or 3 external devices and even if I could theorically remove them without using that icon, I rather make sure that everything is ok before doing so..

!