Need HELP with 4x512!!!!! Please!

knifetheglitter

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
Hi everyone. Ive got a pretty decent system, but im comtemplating getting another gig of ram to go with my OCZ 2x512 PC3500 Dual channel kit. Id really just rather get a second set of 2x512 of the same stuff, but im not sure if thats a good idea or not. its way cheaper and way easier for me to just throw in a second set, and id like to still have a decent OC. I am upgrading from an P4 3.2e@3.6 to an AMD 64 3700+ San Deigo. Here are teh specs...

AMD 64 3700+ San Deigo
ASUS A8V Deluxe mobo
1 gig OCZ Performance dual channel DDR433
BFG 6800GT@ultra+ settings

Please let me know what you think, and keep in mind, it'd be REALLY convineint for me to just get a second pair, rather than sell it, and get 2x1gig.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Of course the better choice is 2x1024 because it is more stable than 4x512MB for a desktop motherboard. You should, however, be okay with 4x512MB- though in some cases the system may clock the modules down for stability concerns.

For certain newer chipsets and motherboards, you may not suffer a performance hit with 4 modules. But, in anycase, 4 modules is normally less stable than 2.

Just some additional info <b>(DDR2 only)</b>:
Many of the tier one manufacturers are gearing for higher density modules. The roadmap for DDR2 already includes 4GB and 8GB modules.

<font color=blue>******
<font color=green>"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and common sence." -The Buddha
<font color=blue>AIM BrentUnitedMem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BrentUnitedMem on 07/15/05 03:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

The first thing I would recommend is getting a mobo with an nForce chipset. I like the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-136-152&depa=1" target="_new">DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D</A> and the <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-123-236&depa=1" target="_new">Epox Ep-9NPA+ Ultra</A>. Both are rock-solid stable and are top OC boards.

What is your reasoning for getting 2GB? Ar eyou going to be doing a lot of video work? Multi-tasking? The only games that MIGHT use that amount of RAM in certain cases, would be WOW or EQ2 - maybe BF2.

With 4X512, you'll be doing good to keep 1T command - much less getting a good OC. You'll probably have to use a divider to keep the RAM at a stable, low setting and OC the CPU. Best bet is to get the 2X1024 if you want any kind of OC for the RAM.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You increase the likelyhood that your memory timings must be sacrificed in order to achieve stability, with 4 modules. The Intel controller actually LIKES 4 modules, while the AMD controller doesn't.

If you were sticking with the old system, 4 modules would be a great idea. While it may also work with the AMD system, 2 modules would be better for your new system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

knifetheglitter

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004
my purpose is mostly for gaming, and i know games coming out soon will use an upwards of about 1 gig or ram, if not more with high resolutions. On my current intel system, my timings are 2.5 3 3 4. If i wanted to spend a little extra, i could get 2 gigs of OCZ 3200 for around $220, but i have the new Diego core, so will i get an unstable system for overclocking if i went with 4x512?

Latest posts