Identifying memory type

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Computer
  • Compatibility
Last response: in Memory
July 16, 2005 5:32:44 AM

Hi,
I purchased a 512mb memory module recently to replace the 256mb that I had in my computer. Ever since I replaced the module my computer is crashing left and right. I vaguely remember that the specs of my older 256mb are PC2100 266MHz SDRAM. The vendor who sold me the 512mb module said it is compatible with the spec(PC2100 266MHz) and I can use in my computer. But now that I see my computer crashing often with this new module, it seems this module is not really compatible. I cannot reach the vendor as I am in a different city, so I would just like to sell this one on ebay to someone else. Only problem is I dont know the specs of this new module. Following is what I see on the module:

hynix 506AA
HY5DU56822BT-J
KOREA PH01576A

Is it possible to identify if it is DDR or SDRAM? what is its operating frequence (266/333 MHz)? and what is PCXXXX(what is this called?)

Thanks
f!ace

More about : identifying memory type

a b } Memory
July 16, 2005 8:20:37 AM

Try googling the middle number

Anyway, it's both DDR and SDRAM. It's DDR SDRAM. SDRAM only comes in SDR and DDR for PC's, and SDR comes with names like PC100 and PC133, while DDR comes with names like PC2100 and PC2700. In fact, DDR SDRAM and SDR SDRAM use different slots.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
July 16, 2005 9:47:03 AM

Thanks for the information on SDR and DDR, I always wanted to know about this.

I found some info at http://www.tyan.com/support/html/memory_s5150.html
It seems the middle number is the chip number, and the vendor Transcend has a PC2700 (DDR 333) module that uses this chip. But it also says the type is DDR RAM (ECC) - Does it mean it is not DDR SDRAM?

Thanks
f!lace
a b } Memory
July 16, 2005 9:54:09 AM

No, it means it's DDR SDRAM. I'd be surprised if it were ECC, but while most PC boards don't support that feature, many can work with that feature disabled.

ECC is error correction, it's an added feature used mostly in servers and scientific calculations.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>