Tired of crashing

ganster

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
my system and games seem to always crash at some point whether it be on net or game crashes after little while tried a lot of things fixes patches nothing seem to work help

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Is your system overheating? Do you know how to check your system temps in BIOS or do you have a system temp monitor application (like PC Probe for ASUS mobos)? Your CPU might be over stressed and unstable. Could also be a power supply issue. Do you have a graphics card that draws a lot of power from the power supply? What errors do you get? Bluescreens could be a memory issue.

Give system specs including the age of the PC for more troubleshooting...

hotshot_hodson

Distinguished
May 1, 2008

I appear to be having a similar issue to you scatrdfew, system locks up during games, but not really in normal applications

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-258750_10_0.html

I haven't had the chance to run their memtest application yet, my PC is in the same room as i sleep so wouldn't be able to sleep with it on overnight.

Also does anyone know of any instuctions for using this program?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You don't need to run memtest overnight. If your system crash within an hour you'll know.

If you don't have overheating problem then you might have drivers or sofware conflict.

First things first if you overclock, set it back to default. Next is disable write caching and if you have SATA hard drive and SATA optical drive, remove sata optical drive and use pata (IDE) optical drive. And make sure S.M.A.R.T. is active. Set any overclock to default settings.

Download and run CCleaner's registry clean. http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ next is to download Procexp. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx and use to trace any programs that may not be running properly and shut it down.

If your OS is Windows XP, update to SP3 if not done yet amd install the latest .net framworks.

Post back what you guys found out.

hotshot_hodson

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hi There guys, bumping this back up with some results.

I have installed and run CCleaner, seems a very handy tool, managed to free up 2gig of extra space, lovely! However running that Procexp caused some problems, just running the program listing all processes, before i could make much sense of it all the system locked up badly and then went BSOD on me.

Does that help diagnose at all?

I've still not had a decent chance to run memtest yet.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
What Peripherals connected to your system and what softwares installed before Ccleaner and ProceXP?

Try minimizing the unit connected to your system first. Then boot it from Safe Mode.

Using msconfig try to disable all from the startup option. Then run ccleaner - registry cleaner before restarting.

Try unstalling your Anti Virus and Firewall and not use the internet until you have find the problem.

Then see if you can use the Procexp again. Check which system has the highest resouces.

svcs programs uses the most resources but check the one with lots of CPU usage when Idling.

You can use Task Manager but it's not as good a Procexp when cheking specific programs.