[40K][Rules] Dumb question about hand grenades

Info up front to avoid flamage:
1) Yes, I own the 4th ed. rulebook and SM codex.
2) Yes, I have read both several times.
3) Yes, I'm sure I can read.

So, that being said, how exactly is it that hand grenades work in combat? Is
there some page I didnt get in my rulebook?
Ive seen the descriptions of SM/Eld./Tau grenades, but what is the range?
Blast template? Dmg? Am I dumb? Help?

drgrbek
-Making the "Rubber-band face"

"relkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> Info up front to avoid flamage:
> 1) Yes, I own the 4th ed. rulebook and SM codex.
> 2) Yes, I have read both several times.
> 3) Yes, I'm sure I can read.
>
> So, that being said, how exactly is it that hand grenades work in combat?
> Is
> there some page I didnt get in my rulebook?
> Ive seen the descriptions of SM/Eld./Tau grenades, but what is the range?
> Blast template? Dmg? Am I dumb? Help?

Grenades don't get thrown (IIRC). They are used in close combat. Basically,
they either negate the initiative advantage for being in cover (frag
grenades), or are used to attack walkers and vehicles (the rest).

4th ed rulebook, page 29, large box with the title Grenades, explains some
of them, the rest are in their respective codex descriptions.

Dan

"Spack" <news@worldofspack.co.uk> wrote in message
> "relkins" <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> > Info up front to avoid flamage:
> > 1) Yes, I own the 4th ed. rulebook and SM codex.
> > 2) Yes, I have read both several times.
> > 3) Yes, I'm sure I can read.
> >
> > So, that being said, how exactly is it that hand grenades work in
combat?
> > Is
> > there some page I didnt get in my rulebook?
> > Ive seen the descriptions of SM/Eld./Tau grenades, but what is the
range?
> > Blast template? Dmg? Am I dumb? Help?
>
> Grenades don't get thrown (IIRC). They are used in close combat.
Basically,
> they either negate the initiative advantage for being in cover (frag
> grenades), or are used to attack walkers and vehicles (the rest).
>
> 4th ed rulebook, page 29, large box with the title Grenades, explains some
> of them, the rest are in their respective codex descriptions.

Gothca, thanks! I feel a little less dumb, now.

relkins <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Gothca, thanks! I feel a little less dumb, now.

Don't feel dumb, the hand grenade rules make no sense to me whatsoever! In
real life you tend to want to throw them as far away from you, and as close
to the enemy as possible, yet in WH40k, they're for close combat?!?!

Zane

> Grenades don't get thrown (IIRC). They are used in close combat. Basically,
> they either negate the initiative advantage for being in cover (frag
> grenades), or are used to attack walkers and vehicles (the rest).
>
> 4th ed rulebook, page 29, large box with the title Grenades, explains some
> of them, the rest are in their respective codex descriptions.
>
> Dan

Don't forget pg. 72, which allows frag, plasma and photon grenades to be
used to attack armor in addition ot all the other normal grenade types.
New rule for 4th edition. I still fondly remember the good ole days
where you could throw grenades... Swooping hawks dispatching 4 krak
grenades a turn... plasma grenades expanding to 7.5" radius... vortex
grenades splitting and moving... battlefields half covered with blind
grenades. Oh the memories.

Master Ravenclaw

healyzh@aracnet.com wrote:
> relkins <relkins@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
>>Gothca, thanks! I feel a little less dumb, now.
>
> Don't feel dumb, the hand grenade rules make no sense to me whatsoever! In
> real life you tend to want to throw them as far away from you, and as close
> to the enemy as possible, yet in WH40k, they're for close combat?!?!

I presume the theory is that you throw the grenade into whatever cover
the enemy has, forcing them to abandon their defended position.. It
would certainly fit the perceived use of grenades of anyone who plays
too much CS.

--
=/\= Lt. Cmdr. Jim =/\=
By our chocolate, shall they know us.