Delay startup items

Any ideas how I can delay the running of some startup items? As an example,
MSN messenger runs and attempts to log in before my internet connection is
active and therefore returns an error everytime I turn on my PC.

I would have thought that theres a switch I could add after the shortcut
command.

Thanks guys.

Matt
2 answers Last reply
More about delay startup items

    See

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin/search?hl=en&group=microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin&q=sleep&qt_g=1&searchnow=Search+this+group

    for a general solution.
    For the example you give, however, I would use something like the following
    before you run messenger. Be aware it will result in an endless loop if for
    some reason the connection cannot be establised (use Ctrl+C to cancel).

    :Retry
    for /f "eol=C tokens=*" %%i in ('rasdial') do set test=%%i
    if /i "%test%"=="No connections" goto Retry

    "MJ" <MJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Any ideas how I can delay the running of some startup items? As an
    > example,
    > MSN messenger runs and attempts to log in before my internet connection is
    > active and therefore returns an error everytime I turn on my PC.
    >
    > I would have thought that theres a switch I could add after the shortcut
    > command.
    >
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Matt

    Firstly, uncheck the option within MSN that starts it when starting Windows
    (Tools > Options > General)

    A .vbs script (shortcut in startup folder) like this would delay the startup
    by an arbitrary number of milliseconds (in this case 30000 = 30 seconds)

    '************************************************
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    'Wait 30 seconds
    wscript.sleep 30000

    'Run MSN
    wshshell.Run """C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"""
    '**************************************************

    Alternatively, you could have a startup script (again .vbs) that tested for
    an active internet connnection, such as

    '**********************************************************
    set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    set ipfinder = createobject("rcbdyctl.setting")

    do
    wscript.sleep 5000
    loop until online = true

    'Run MSN
    wshshell.Run """C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\msnmsgr.exe"""

    Function online

    online = false
    ipaddress = ipfinder.GetIPAddress
    if len(trim(ipaddress))<>0 then online = true

    End Function
    '**********************************************************

    Jon

    "MJ" <MJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Any ideas how I can delay the running of some startup items? As an
    > example,
    > MSN messenger runs and attempts to log in before my internet connection is
    > active and therefore returns an error everytime I turn on my PC.
    >
    > I would have thought that theres a switch I could add after the shortcut
    > command.
    >
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Matt

Internet Connection Windows XP