Sign in with
Your question

Need help with memory problem

Last response: in Memory
July 16, 2005 7:03:33 PM

Hi,

I've recently bought a new computer (Athlon 64 @ 2.2Ghz, Msi K8N Platinum mobo, MSI GF 6800 GT, and 2x Kingstone PC400 memory clips of 512MB (1024MB total). The problem is when Im playing games, mostly. I run into "Out of Memory" popups that push me back to desktop after some time, some hickups in the start of some games, and generally, quitting games takes either a lot of time or it ends me up on the blue screen of death for a split second, then restarts.

Anyone can help me out on this or has had similar problems? Thanks in advance.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by InfiltratorSF on 07/16/05 03:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : memory problem

a b } Memory
July 17, 2005 10:07:47 AM

It sounds like you're out of virtual memory. Usually background applications are responsible, often spyware.

One of my clients was actually getting PAID to leave a certain piece of spyware on her system, and had that problem, so I just increased the page file to 4GB, and her problem disappeared.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
July 18, 2005 2:00:22 PM

In task manager (ctrl + alt +Del =)) you can go on the proces tab than the View menu and then select columns.
You can display the virtual memory bein used by each process. That could help you determine the cause of the problem...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
!