Drag & Drop to DVD

can you drag & drop to a DVD, I know it works to a CD but can you do it to a
DVD, or is it only a CD thing
5 answers Last reply
More about drag drop

    There is no native DVD support in Windows. To use Drag & Drop you need
    to have 3rd party software such as Roxio Drag-to-Disk. I Haven't used
    Nero INCD but I understand it ofers a similar function.

    "lesC" <lesC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can you drag & drop to a DVD, I know it works to a CD but can you do it to
    > DVD, or is it only a CD thing

    Seems like it should. Try it and see.

    Tried it ages ago that's why I'm asking.......

    "Jone Doe" wrote:

    > "lesC" <lesC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > can you drag & drop to a DVD, I know it works to a CD but can you do it to
    > > DVD, or is it only a CD thing
    >
    > Seems like it should. Try it and see.

    Just as I suspected.... Thank You for the confirmation

    "lesC" wrote:

    > Tried it ages ago that's why I'm asking.......
    >
    > "Jone Doe" wrote:
    >

    > > "lesC" <lesC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > can you drag & drop to a DVD, I know it works to a CD but can you do it to
    > > > DVD, or is it only a CD thing
    > >
    > > Seems like it should. Try it and see.

    You need third party software to burn to DVD as XP can't do that natively.
    There are 2 types of drag and drop. One type is used by XP with it's CD
    burning function. This process uses the ISO9660/Joliet Standard and is like
    that used by Nero, RecordNowMax or Easy Media Creator Classic. The other
    uses the UDF format to preformat disc so they behave much like a giant
    floppy. The problem with packet writing software is that it is prone to
    corruption and disks can become unreadable. However packet writing provides
    both ease of use and the ability to save directly to DVD from applications
    like Microsoft Word or the XP Backup program.

    Programs that use the ISO9660/Joliet format like Nero, Easy Media Creator,
    RecordNow Max and a host of others will burn to DVD. There are freeware
    alternatives that work nicely as well. CDBurnerXP Pro from
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/features.php is excellent.

    The following three stand alone packet writing programs work well with XP.
    There are no freeware packet writing programs
    InCD from www.nero.com (if you already own Nero you can install InCD for
    free otherwise you need to purchase a license)
    DLA from www.sonic.com
    InstantWrite from
    http://www.gocyberlink.com/multi/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=37 (which
    is the least expensive of the three)

    If you have purchased Easy Media Creator it contains an app called Drag to
    Disk which was formerly known as Direct CD. You can not purchase Drag to
    Disk separately.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "lesC" <lesC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > can you drag & drop to a DVD, I know it works to a CD but can you do it to
    > DVD, or is it only a CD thing

DVD CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP