host file manager from mvp website

curtis

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

thank you first for all of you mvp"s great knowledge i have learned! question
i downloaded the host file list and your host file manager programs, 2 days
in a row it comes up and says unable to verify the integrity of the host file
lists and wants me to update it. i dont know if this means my download list
didnt work? please help thank you curtis
--
curtis

What comes up and can't verify the integrity of the host file?

The latest HOSTS file is 07-26-05. Do you have the latest copy?

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:CC26133D-7B17-4F57-AFB6-1ACEBA5063EF@microsoft.com,
curtis <curtis@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> thank you first for all of you mvp"s great knowledge i have learned!
> question i downloaded the host file list and your host file manager
> programs, 2 days in a row it comes up and says unable to verify the
> integrity of the host file lists and wants me to update it. i dont know
> if this means my download list didnt work? please help thank you curtis
> --
> curtis

curtis

Distinguished
May 26, 2004

thank you wesley i assume it is the host file manager download i did, it
keeps telling me itegrity problem and needs to update the host file list. i
ve now done that about 10 times and it keeps coming up? when i tell it ok to
update it says it worked but then on restart it comes up again? thank you alot
--
curtis

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> What comes up and can't verify the integrity of the host file?
>
> The latest HOSTS file is 07-26-05. Do you have the latest copy?
>
> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:CC26133D-7B17-4F57-AFB6-1ACEBA5063EF@microsoft.com,
> curtis <curtis@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > thank you first for all of you mvp"s great knowledge i have learned!
> > question i downloaded the host file list and your host file manager
> > programs, 2 days in a row it comes up and says unable to verify the
> > integrity of the host file lists and wants me to update it. i dont know
> > if this means my download list didnt work? please help thank you curtis
> > --
> > curtis

Hi Curtis,

Are you referring to HOSTS File Manager
that you found a link for here...
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm ??

And you downloaded it from here..
http://www.mvps.org/PracticallyNerded/SoftMain.htm ??

I just downloaded it.

HOSTS File Manager adds Hosts Manager to
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
or
%homepath%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
so that it runs when you boot your machine.

From HOSTS File Manager Help..
[[Automatic functions
HOSTS File Manager© performs some functions automatically when you start
your computer. This is the point where it catches the things you forgot do
do. When you start your computer, HOSTS File Manager© will do the
following:

Check to make sure the HOSTS file exists. If it is missing you will get a
warning message and the opportunity for a fresh download.

Verify the integrity of the HOSTS file. This only happens if you are using
a HOSTS file downloaded via HOSTS File Manager©

Check to see if you left the HOSTS file disabled at shutdown. If you did,
it will be enabled.

Check the last date that the HOSTS file was updated. If that is more than
15 days, you will be advised to check for updates. This check is only
performed on the first startup of the day and is skipped on subsequent
startups.

Check to see that the HOSTS file attributes are set to Read Only / System
and Hidden.

This is all done in the background during startup and the only time you see
anything happen is if there is a message as indicated above. If all is
well, HOSTS File Manager© will quietly exit the startup routine.]]

I installed HOSTS File Manager and rebooted. I got no error messages.

But I changed the HOSTS file attributes and got the error message.

Apparently if the HOSTS file doesn't get it's attributes set with HOSTS File
Manager, HOSTS File Manager pops up with the error message that you got.

Make sure that you select Lock File Attributes when HOSTS File Manager
opens, then click OK.

I do not like this program and I am going to uninstall it as soon as I send
this.

I saved a copy of the HOSTS File Manager Help file, if you have any more
questions.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes