Generic Host Process for Win 32 services error message

OK so there are 1001 posts on this on every newsgroup...so here's one more.
Basically, I'd just like to know...has anyone actually tried the microsoft
fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A87B44B9-7A6A-49B6-BD89-AFAD4E049C48&displaylang=en

and found that it works? Also, is there an uninstall facility for this fix
in add/remove programs?

My situation:

Brand new Compaq Presario M2045AP, winXP SP2 loaded, have automatic updates
enabled & installed all.

Had Norton AV installed but uninstalled that & replaced with Vet Antivirus.
Have updated Vet, and also have updated adaware and spybot all running & no
viruses present (that they know of anyway)

Have HP PSC 1315 all-in-one with all software updated including critical
update for HP imaging software. In fact this was pre-loaded.

My message is as follows:

Error Signature.
szAppName:svchost exe
szAppver 0.0.0.0
szMod.Name : unknown
szMod.Ver.0.0.0.0
offset.00000000

When following instruction to "click here" the following files will be
included in the error report:

c\DOCUME-1\xxx
1\LOCALS-1TEMP
1\WER 9 bc8.
dir 00\svchost exe mdmp
dir 00 \appcompat.txt

(where xxx is my name)

I have no problems as some people do with the computer restarting or not
shutting down - once this message is closed all behaves well. The message
does not come on every start up but when it does it refers to an error in the
process from say the day before - it's not an instant report of the error.

This computer has dial up connection, and the network cable is shown as
disconnected on the systray. This computer is at times accessed remotely -
and sometimes whilst running on remote access the connection disconnects -
could this disconnection be the cause of the error - the progam used to
create the remote access has been permanently enabled through the firewall. I
find that in any remote access session, a disconnection usually occurs and it
seems (though just an unproven hunch at this stage) that the generic message
comes the next boot up after such a session.

Any comments on the Windows patch or other suggestions welcome.

"ozegirl" <ozegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> OK so there are 1001 posts on this on every newsgroup...so here's one
> more. Basically, I'd just like to know...has anyone actually tried the
> microsoft fix:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A87B44B9-7A6A-49B6-BD89-AFAD4E049C48&displaylang=en
>
> and found that it works?

I installed that patch on two of my notebooks where that particular
"Generic Host Process" error was appearing occasionally right after
startup. Regarding these machines, that hotfix seems to work by now.
BTW, it replaces the files OLE32.DLL, OLECLI32.DLL, OLECNV32.DLL and
RPCSS.DLL.

> Also, is there an uninstall facility for this fix in add/remove
> programs?

IIRC you can uninstall that hotfix via control panel.

--
d-d

Thanks very much for that info - particularly about the files replaced. I
might make backups of those files before putting on patch, just in case.

"Detlev Dreyer" wrote:

> "ozegirl" <ozegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > OK so there are 1001 posts on this on every newsgroup...so here's one
> > more. Basically, I'd just like to know...has anyone actually tried the
> > microsoft fix:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=A87B44B9-7A6A-49B6-BD89-AFAD4E049C48&displaylang=en
> >
> > and found that it works?
>
> I installed that patch on two of my notebooks where that particular
> "Generic Host Process" error was appearing occasionally right after
> startup. Regarding these machines, that hotfix seems to work by now.
> BTW, it replaces the files OLE32.DLL, OLECLI32.DLL, OLECNV32.DLL and
> RPCSS.DLL.
>
> > Also, is there an uninstall facility for this fix in add/remove
> > programs?
>
> IIRC you can uninstall that hotfix via control panel.
>
> --
> d-d

"ozegirl" <ozegirl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thanks very much for that info - particularly about the files replaced.

You're certainly welcome.

--
d-d