mark4man

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
<b>People,</b>

After reading an article in <i>Sound On Sound </i> magazine, I used Norton Speed Disk to configure my audio data to the "Files First" positioning on my audio drive (In my project studio’s workstation PC...I have both a local drive for the OS & programs & a dedicated audio drive for digital audio data.)

The optimization didn't seem to bring any performance benefits in SONAR (my recording software)...but...I couldn't just leave well enough alone, I guess.

So I surmised that...if the audio data streams more efficiently from a "Files First" audio disk location...the <i>program files</i> on the local drive should also; & I went about painstakingly entering folder paths for all my SONAR program files (operational files, graphic caches, plug-ins, etc., etc.)

After optimization, tho...the program’s operation has bogged down to near dropout level; & I've noticed in SONAR's CPU usage meter that a higher percentage is now present; & that the graphics are super slow.

So my questions are: 1) How do I at least get back to where I was, for god's sake ??? My stock defragger is the Windows XP defragger, which I'm told is a watered down version of <i>Diskeeper</i>...(the British program.) Is this true? The only reason I used Speed Disk is because I was also told that the XP defragger, although efficient...doesn't defrag the MFT, Directory & various other system files. Is this true?

2) Will it help if I go back & defrag my local drive with the XP defragger? (i.e., will it put the program files back where they were...or will it just organize what's already there?)

3) Should I go out & get the full version of <i>Diskeeper</i>; & configure it to perform a “typical” or “default” defrag (& in that way get the system files defragged...if the above is true?)

And finally...where exactly SHOULD high intensity programs (graphic art, photo editing, digital audio workstations) be located on the local drive FOR optimum performance ??? Did I do the right thing? ('cause it sure doesn't seem so.)

Thanks very much,

<b>mark4man</b>

Try VoptXP <A HREF="http://www.goldenbow.com/download.htm" target="_new"> 30 day fully functional free trial </A> let it do the optimizing for you, each defragg it will restructure the most frequently used files and set them for optimized use.

If you've manually setup anything you may want to undo what you did first and uninstall any previous defraggers, VoptXP is a high speed defragger and file optimizer, I've personally used it going on 3 years now, for video editing, gaming, audio editing Etc., its the best software I've paid for yet.

30 day free trial, you have nothing to loose.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi mate,

The defragger you need is Perfect Disk (version 6 or 7) - by Raxco - it is way, way better than Diskeeper.

You can defrag Windows systems files offline before booting into Windows.

Smartplacement allows you to move less frequently used files to the end of the disk and is configurable.

You can defrag drives on network PCs.

You can defrag drives with only 1% free space!!

Its bloody fast (especially if you choose to defrag all your drives in parallel!!)

Its so fast and efficient (e.g. doesn't slow down background video compression jobs I run 24/7) that I schedule a complete system defrag for every night!! Thats 6x 250Gb SATA, 1x 400Gb SATA, 1x 500Gb IEEE1394b, 36Gb/18Gb U320 SCSI!! Perfect Disk chomps through that lot in no time flat!!

This program is rock solid - I have never been able attribute a crash to the program (the Windows IEEE1394 driver is another matter :) and the process has _never_ crashed on me - even once. Diskeeper crashed on me almost immediately I started fiddling with it!!

Hope that helps!!

Robert