GenericHost trys to access the internet

I have ZoneAlarm installed and it often advises that GenericHost is trying
to connect.

I read some about GenericHost and if I understand it could be one of many
programs that is trying to connect.

How do I know if I should allow it or not?

Are all such programs benign?

Thanks

Generic Host is the name of the system service SvcHost. This is a
Microsoft process that has multiple mini-processes within it. If you
look in TaskMgr, Processes (TAB) you'll notice 4-6 instances of
SvcHost. To view the actual sub-processes that each runs, you can
open a Command Prompt window (Cmd -or Command) from the
Run box. In the command prompt window type Tasklist /SVC.
In most instances SvcHost is benign - However, some Malware
uses a naming convention that is similar to SvcHost to try and avoid
detection.

" **Developer**" <REMOVEdeveloper@a-znet.com> wrote in message
>I have ZoneAlarm installed and it often advises that GenericHost is trying
>to connect.
>
> I read some about GenericHost and if I understand it could be one of many
> programs that is trying to connect.
>
> How do I know if I should allow it or not?
>

> Are all such programs benign?
>

> Thanks

As I understand, it there is not much I can do except allow the connection
and hope for the best, since to know better what to do is not easily to
achieved.

Thanks

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Updating your clock and using Windows Update requires it.

Some firewalls, such as Sygate, can allow you to restrict it to accessing
specific IP address ranges.

Jon