jwk_57_316

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
I am new to this Sata150 and harddrive [-peep-]. I use to just use ide harddrives but i went with the new style and got a Sata150 HardDrive and i go to install windows and it dont read my harddrive and i dunno maybe my bios settings arent right, but i dunno. I Need some input on what all my settings should be and what steps i should do for it to read it when installing a operating system. Thx.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, I think I probably covered that near the end of the motherboards FAQ, check it out, the first post in the motherboard's forum.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jwk_57_316

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
Umm.... I am still waiting for the answer i need. I get the computer to read my harddrive but then it dont. The bios reads it but when i go to install windows it doesnt recognize any harddrive to format or install files to. Is there something special i need to do???

MY SYSTEM!!!!
Pentium 630 3Ghz.
Asus P5ADA2-Premium
Western Digital Sata150 80GB
1GB 533fsb DDR2 Ram
Geforce FX6600 GT 128mb GDDR3
NEC Burner

TechyDude

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
Shopping for a cheap computer for the upstairs office... there are two cheapo's at HPshopping.com... one has a Parallel ATA drive and an Intel CPU, and the other has a SATA drive and an AMD CPU... which route would you take... and why?

dhlucke

Polypheme
Which ever one is cheaper based upon the information you gave us.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

G

Umm you want to install widnows On the new drive and widnows setupd doesnt recognize it??
If so make sur its not on a RAID controller, if so youll need to press F6 and have a floppy with your rai drivers.

Other than that a bios update could be good!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
What motherboard do you have.
If it doesn't have native SATA you'll have to install drivers by pressing F6 at the beginning of the windows XP install

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If you give us more specs or a link to them we could tell you which and why.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

jwk_57_316

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
you guys need to read my message i have the specs listed in a post!!! Best dam mobo out there man for the price Asus P5ADA2 Premium!!!!!!!!!!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I have no idea how to fix your problem. I was replying to techydude.
Sorry =)

Assuming were talking WinXP or Win2K, you're going to have to put the M/Bs SATA drivers on a floppy disk and load them when the OP/SYS installation gives you the F6 key option, in the very beginning of the setup process, you are allowed a certain time period to press the F6 key, or the installation will bypass the option, for loading any RAID or other necessary drivers.

It will ask you later in the installation for the drivers not when you press the F6 key.

The SATA drivers will be found on your M/Bs installation CD, it probably will be listed under RAID or SATA in the Drivers section, explore the CD and copy those files to the Floppy, and insert the Floppy with the drivers when the Windows Installation asks you for them.

Hopefully you do have a Floppy drive some computers do not, but the F6 feature only accepts the input through the A:\> drive, you can get a USB Floppy drive and load the drivers through that if you don't have a Floppy Drive in the machine.

When I create the Floppy Disk as a general rule I always enable the 'Show All Files' feature in Folder Options, just in case the RAID or SATA drivers have Hidden Files in them.

Then with the SATA drivers loaded in the installation setup, Windows will be able to see the SATA HDD and you can install the OP/SYS.

You didn't get much help here so if you have any problems feel free to PM me I'll be glad to help you.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

jwk_57_316

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2005
Thx. these are the messages that help. I kinda got somewhere from that but my computer isnt reading the boot and i dont know any commands that will help run it.

After researching your M/B I discovered your M/B has an additional CMOS feature than mine does, in the CMOS you can set the Intel SATA ports to act as normal IDE, which should allow your SATA HDD to install the same as a normal IDE would, thats still working off the Intel ICH6R RAID controller and you would need to be hooked into SATA 1 or SATA 2 for the feature to work.

That feature will only work with the Intel controlled bank of headers, the Silicon Image Bank of headers on the side of the M/B are RAID application only, and will not work as single IDE period, check your manual and make sure you are hooked into the right bank of headers.

You shouldn't have to load any additional drivers under those circumstances, check it out in your manual and see what happens, when you set it up like that.

I know this is confusing and frustrating as hell as you are new to SATA and not all the M/Bs have the same features, but once you get past all this, and you will! You're going to love the response of the SATA HDDs, you have a primo M/B for future SATA RAID configurations with 8 available SATA headers.

Go back over everything and check your manual first and make sure you're hooked into the right M/B headers and set the CMOS the way the manual says for SATA to act as Normal IDE and try to install again.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>

pat

Expert
there is nothing complicated with SATA. It is only an INTERFACE. the controller, if it is the same that control the PATA interface AND the SATA interface wont need drivers because it use the standard set of drivers that microsoft use for IDE controller. If you set the controller to use some of the ports as RAID, then you need RAID drivers. No matter if you set your array on the SATA or PATA ports.. YOu need RAID drivers for the CONTROLLER, not for the interface.

But, if you have a PCI onboard controller, then you need drivers for the controller, no matter if it is set as a standard controller or as a RAID controller. Windows dont talk to the interface, it talk to the controller that talk to the device that is attached to it, no matter if it is at the other end of the SATA wire or the ATA ribbon.

Talking of SATA drivers is like you were saying that you need speakers drivers to hear sound from your sound card.. You need sound card drivers that will let you output the sound to the analog or digital line..

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>