Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
i determine what programs they are running at startup?

If there is no path in Value Data, the item shows up blank in
msconfig | Startup. Also if Default under Data is blank (nothing
there at all) instead of (value not set).

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>

What do you see in the right hand pane?
Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
column?

Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
Navigate to >>

What do you see in the right hand pane?
Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
column?

From StartMan HELP:
[[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.

How do they occur?

They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a
later date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't
know about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the
uninstaller deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan.
Orphans can also occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere.
Where an orphan is also enabled you may see missing file reports at
startup. In the case of menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will
attempt to resolve the target by a brute-force search for the file based
upon the information stored in the shortcut.

How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?

Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located.
Next, use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups -
if that is an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being
equal, the startups should be gone, along with the software that used
them. If not...]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:nl1fe15kq191m1c0l7ab9b21alpl8itbd8@4ax.com,
Kenny@aol.com <Kenny@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
> In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
> i determine what programs they are running at startup?

blackadder

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005

<Kenny@aol.com> wrote in message
> In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
> i determine what programs they are running at startup?

I've found several startups that are completely blanked out. The majority
appear to be software registration reminders, but there are others. Not sure
why they are blanked out, but the command-line length might have a bearing
as they're all quite long-winded comands (with multiple arguments). The
startups certainly execute normally, so it would appear to be a bug in
MSCONFIG.

To identify them, you'll find all your startups in four locations, two in
the registry and two in the start menu:

HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
%allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
%userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

Disabled items will be found here:

HKLM\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg
HKLM\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupfolder

Backups of the start menu items will be found here:

%windir%\pss

This scheme is a little more complex than the old Windows 9x version of
MSCONFIG, so it's best to use MSCONFIG itself to restore it's own disabled
startups. You can then use a third-party startup manager (such as
StartupCPL) to disable/delete the non-essential items, instead of using
MSCONFIG.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Look in the "Command" column

Jon

"Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
> Look in the "Command" column

That's not much use when the entire entry is blanked out. Only the checkmark
is displayed...

> <Kenny@aol.com> wrote in message
>> In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
>> i determine what programs they are running at startup?

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

Thanks all for your help. If it is what was suggested below then X it
out will not matter. Since I have about 5 of them so i will need to
figure things out a bit and get back to you

Again thanls for your help

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:50:08 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
<123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>If there is no path in Value Data, the item shows up blank in
>msconfig | Startup. Also if Default under Data is blank (nothing
>there at all) instead of (value not set).
>
>Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
>Navigate to >>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
>What do you see in the right hand pane?
>Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
>column?
>
>Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
>Navigate to >>
>HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>
>What do you see in the right hand pane?
>Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
>column?
>
>From StartMan HELP:
>[[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.
>
>How do they occur?
>
>They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a
>later date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't
>know about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the
>uninstaller deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan.
>Orphans can also occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere.
>Where an orphan is also enabled you may see missing file reports at
>startup. In the case of menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will
>attempt to resolve the target by a brute-force search for the file based
>upon the information stored in the shortcut.
>
>How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?
>
>Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
>enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located.
>Next, use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups -
>if that is an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being
>equal, the startups should be gone, along with the software that used
>them. If not...]]

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

See if there are any blank (possibly blank spaces) named entries in the
registry

Start > Run > Regedit

eg at

and