msconfig

In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
i determine what programs they are running at startup?
6 answers Last reply
More about msconfig

    If there is no path in Value Data, the item shows up blank in
    msconfig | Startup. Also if Default under Data is blank (nothing
    there at all) instead of (value not set).

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
    Navigate to >>

    What do you see in the right hand pane?
    Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
    column?

    Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
    Navigate to >>

    What do you see in the right hand pane?
    Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
    column?

    From StartMan HELP:
    [[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.

    How do they occur?

    They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a
    later date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't
    know about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the
    uninstaller deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan.
    Orphans can also occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere.
    Where an orphan is also enabled you may see missing file reports at
    startup. In the case of menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will
    attempt to resolve the target by a brute-force search for the file based
    upon the information stored in the shortcut.

    How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?

    Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
    enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located.
    Next, use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups -
    if that is an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being
    equal, the startups should be gone, along with the software that used
    them. If not...]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:nl1fe15kq191m1c0l7ab9b21alpl8itbd8@4ax.com,
    Kenny@aol.com <Kenny@aol.com> hunted and pecked:

    <Kenny@aol.com> wrote in message
    > In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
    > i determine what programs they are running at startup?

    I've found several startups that are completely blanked out. The majority
    appear to be software registration reminders, but there are others. Not sure
    why they are blanked out, but the command-line length might have a bearing
    as they're all quite long-winded comands (with multiple arguments). The
    startups certainly execute normally, so it would appear to be a bug in
    MSCONFIG.

    To identify them, you'll find all your startups in four locations, two in
    the registry and two in the start menu:

    HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
    HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run
    %allusersprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    %userprofile%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Disabled items will be found here:

    HKLM\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg
    HKLM\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupfolder

    Backups of the start menu items will be found here:

    %windir%\pss

    This scheme is a little more complex than the old Windows 9x version of
    MSCONFIG, so it's best to use MSCONFIG itself to restore it's own disabled
    startups. You can then use a third-party startup manager (such as
    StartupCPL) to disable/delete the non-essential items, instead of using
    MSCONFIG.

    Look in the "Command" column

    Jon

    "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    > Look in the "Command" column

    That's not much use when the entire entry is blanked out. Only the checkmark
    is displayed...

    > <Kenny@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
    >> i determine what programs they are running at startup?

    Thanks all for your help. If it is what was suggested below then X it
    out will not matter. Since I have about 5 of them so i will need to
    figure things out a bit and get back to you

    Again thanls for your help

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:50:08 -0600, "Wesley Vogel"
    <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

    >If there is no path in Value Data, the item shows up blank in
    >msconfig | Startup. Also if Default under Data is blank (nothing
    >there at all) instead of (value not set).
    >
    >Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
    >Navigate to >>
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    >What do you see in the right hand pane?
    >Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
    >column?
    >
    >Start | Run | Type: regedit | OK |
    >Navigate to >>
    >HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >
    >What do you see in the right hand pane?
    >Do you see an entry with blank (nothing there at all) in the Data
    >column?
    >
    >From StartMan HELP:
    >[[An orphan is a startup item that has a non-existent target file.
    >
    >How do they occur?
    >
    >They primarily occur because you've disabled a startup and then, at a
    >later date, uninstalled the program that uses it. The uninstaller won't
    >know about the disabled startup so it gets left behind. And if the
    >uninstaller deletes the target file then the startup becomes an orphan.
    >Orphans can also occur if you rename or move the target file elsewhere.
    >Where an orphan is also enabled you may see missing file reports at
    >startup. In the case of menu startups (shortcuts), the shell will
    >attempt to resolve the target by a brute-force search for the file based
    >upon the information stored in the shortcut.
    >
    >How do I avoid creating orphans when uninstalling software?
    >
    >Firstly, before uninstalling any software, ensure all its startups are
    >enabled with StartMan. This ensures all its startups can be located.
    >Next, use the program's own options to disable or remove the startups -
    >if that is an option. Finally, uninstall the software. All things being
    >equal, the startups should be gone, along with the software that used
    >them. If not...]]

    See if there are any blank (possibly blank spaces) named entries in the
    registry

    Start > Run > Regedit

    eg at

    and

    Jon

    "Blackadder" <black@dder.com> wrote in message
    > "Jon" <Email_Address@SomewhereOrOther.com> wrote in message
    >> Look in the "Command" column
    >
    > That's not much use when the entire entry is blanked out. Only the
    > checkmark is displayed...
    >
    >> <Kenny@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>> In msconfig I have a number of blank entries that are enabled. How do
    >>> i determine what programs they are running at startup?

Microsoft Msconfig Windows XP