[WHFB] If I wanted to start a high elf army...

....what would you recommend?

I'm thinking of starting them for Warbands. 300 points next week, then 500
then 750.

I don't own the codex yet, and I don't have a lot of money to spend (being a
college student and all...), but I thought with warbands, it wouldn't be AS
painful to the pocketbook.

Thanks in advance.

Also, in your opinion, what is the least played army out there (I like to
try something no one else really does)?

"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message
> ...what would you recommend?

Archers, Spearmen, and Bolt Thrower to start. Then move your way to
Chariots and Cav.

> I don't own the codex yet, and I don't have a lot of money to spend (being
> college student and all...), but I thought with warbands, it wouldn't be
> AS
> painful to the pocketbook.

WHFB doesn't use Codex's. Not that big of a deal, but still if you want to
get into WHFB it's good to learn the proper terms.

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Also, in your opinion, what is the least played army out there (I like to
> try something no one else really does)?

Well then you'll want to avoid the HE as they are probably one of the most
played armies.

"Rzrsedge" <kgamble8-at-comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message
> > ...what would you recommend?
> >

> Archers, Spearmen, and Bolt Thrower to start. Then move your way to
> Chariots and Cav.
>
> > I don't own the codex yet, and I don't have a lot of money to spend
(being
> > college student and all...), but I thought with warbands, it wouldn't be
> > AS
> > painful to the pocketbook.
>
> WHFB doesn't use Codex's. Not that big of a deal, but still if you want
> get into WHFB it's good to learn the proper terms.
>
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Also, in your opinion, what is the least played army out there (I like
> > try something no one else really does)?
>
> Well then you'll want to avoid the HE as they are probably one of the most
> played armies.

Sorry, meant army book. Thanks for the advice on the start. :)

Estarriol

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

"Rzrsedge" <kgamble8-at-comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message
>> ...what would you recommend?
>>

> Archers, Spearmen, and Bolt Thrower to start. Then move your way to
> Chariots and Cav.

Wait a month or so, they are supposed to be getting a battalion box, which
will have core troops with some saving over buying the boxes individually.

HE's are good if you have time rather than money, with a bit of work you can
do the whole army from the 3 plastic boxes and the soon coming plastic bolt
thrower.

>> I don't own the codex yet, and I don't have a lot of money to spend
>> (being a
>> college student and all...), but I thought with warbands, it wouldn't be
>> AS
>> painful to the pocketbook.
>
> WHFB doesn't use Codex's. Not that big of a deal, but still if you want
> to get into WHFB it's good to learn the proper terms.
>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Also, in your opinion, what is the least played army out there (I like to
>> try something no one else really does)?
>
> Well then you'll want to avoid the HE as they are probably one of the most
> played armies.
Depends on your local area and opponents, but being on a budget I would say
go HE or Empire or Brettonian as most of your armies can be made up with the
cheaper plastic box sets.

--
estarriol

"Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message
> ...what would you recommend?
>

> I'm thinking of starting them for Warbands. 300 points next week, then
500
> then 750.
>
> I don't own the codex yet, and I don't have a lot of money to spend (being
> college student and all...), but I thought with warbands, it wouldn't be
AS
> painful to the pocketbook.

Due to an error of some type, Ellyrian reaver command blisters are $4 on the
GWUS site...I'm sure you could convert a bunch of standards into spears;)

"estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message news:<d05k6i$eck$1$8302bc10@news.demon.co.uk>...
> "Rzrsedge" <kgamble8-at-comcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> wrote in message
> >> ...what would you recommend?
> >>

> > Archers, Spearmen, and Bolt Thrower to start. Then move your way to
> > Chariots and Cav.
> >

> Wait a month or so, they are supposed to be getting a battalion box, which
> will have core troops with some saving over buying the boxes individually.

Due next month. High Elf Batallion - AU$150 (no doubt 50 pounds in the
UK): 8 Silver Helms, 16 Spearmen, 16 Archers, 1 Repeater Bolt Thrower
with crew.

Over here at least there are also $95 or so (about 40 pounds in real
money) package deals on Swordmasters and White Lions - I presume 20
including command (since it would be overpriced for 16 - no, wait, I
assume 16 including command...) No idea what the new characters will
cost.

> HE's are good if you have time rather than money, with a bit of work you can
> do the whole army from the 3 plastic boxes and the soon coming plastic bolt
> thrower.

Great Eagles might be a bit tricky... For that matter so would
everything other than the plastics themselves, characters and Shadow
Warriors (Archers with Spearman breastplates would be the closest
equivalent).

> >> Thanks in advance.
> >>
> >> Also, in your opinion, what is the least played army out there (I like to
> >> try something no one else really does)?

Judging by the stats in the recent campaign, Kislevites aren't
enormously popular. Something with being all-metal and mail order
only, I imagine.

Philip Bowles

Estarriol

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

>> HE's are good if you have time rather than money, with a bit of work you
>> can
>> do the whole army from the 3 plastic boxes and the soon coming plastic
>> bolt
>> thrower.
>
> Great Eagles might be a bit tricky... For that matter so would
> everything other than the plastics themselves, characters and Shadow
> Warriors (Archers with Spearman breastplates would be the closest
> equivalent).

Shadow Warriors are Archers with Spearman armour and cloaks from the archers
set.

For heavy Armoured infantry I am looking at Darke Elf Legs in chain and
Silver Helms upper bodies. Some Silverhelms will get Archers Bodies to make
Ellyrian Riders, but I need to find unarmoured horse bodies, and Dragon
Prince armoured horses heads.

--
estarriol

In article <d09b3c$330$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>, estarriol wrote:

>>> HE's are good if you have time rather than money, with a bit of work you
>>> can
>>> do the whole army from the 3 plastic boxes and the soon coming plastic
>>> bolt
>>> thrower.

> Shadow Warriors are Archers with Spearman armour and cloaks from the archers
> set.

If one wants cheap shadow warriors it's also possible to use the
cloaked wood elf plastic archers. Nevertheless I would recommend using
the metal models - they are very good and you won't need that many of
them anyway.

--
Joakim

Estarriol

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

"jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message

>> Shadow Warriors are Archers with Spearman armour and cloaks from the
>> archers
>> set.
>
> If one wants cheap shadow warriors it's also possible to use the
> cloaked wood elf plastic archers. Nevertheless I would recommend using
> the metal models - they are very good and you won't need that many of
> them anyway.

Its as much an exercise to try and do them all in plastic.

--
estarriol

"estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message news:<d09b3c$330$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk>...
> >> HE's are good if you have time rather than money, with a bit of work you
> >> can
> >> do the whole army from the 3 plastic boxes and the soon coming plastic
> >> bolt
> >> thrower.
> >
> > Great Eagles might be a bit tricky... For that matter so would
> > everything other than the plastics themselves, characters and Shadow
> > Warriors (Archers with Spearman breastplates would be the closest
> > equivalent).
> >
> Shadow Warriors are Archers with Spearman armour and cloaks from the archers
> set.

Spearmen legs won't work on archers - Dark Elf Warrior legs would, but
not the HE variety. In any case you end up buying a set of 16 at 15
(soon to be 18) pounds just for a SW unit of 8-10. For the same price
you get 9 metal SWs anyway. Plus you only get 4 cloaks per archer set,
and archers aren't such a popular troop choice that you're likely to
have even 8 spare for SWs.

> For heavy Armoured infantry I am looking at Darke Elf Legs in chain and
> Silver Helms upper bodies.

But what about the weapons? The only two-handed sword, halberd and
great weapon components in the HE range are metal - Eltharion's sword,
Korhil's axe and, IIRC, the Phoenix Guard Champion halberd.

Some Silverhelms will get Archers Bodies to make
> Ellyrian Riders, but I need to find unarmoured horse bodies, and Dragon
> Prince armoured horses heads.

Quite...

Philip Bowles