EvoLeach

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
This is what i have for ram in my computer...
1x 512 corsair value select 3200
1x 512 no name 2700 bad timeings. but it was free.

my system is...
AMD athlon XP 3200+ 400fsb
gigabyte nforce 2 mother board
evga 6800 gt.
creative soundblaster live 5.1
tvtuner card.
dvd burner.
200gb HD backup IDE
40 GB hatachi IDE WinxpPRO OS

Im trying to make my games run better... I got battle feild and i know thats a memory hog. but i was looking into investing in to some good memory. i saw this ram on new egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575
the timings look great and looks shinny. i dont wana invest in something that i will have to replace next year. if anyone can help that would be great. if im wasting money by getting that ram give me a heads up on what would be a better deal.

Thanx

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145575
" target="_new">Clicky</A>

That link went to a large listing of RAM - try sending anther link or just post the part number/description.

Because you have two different speeds of RAM in your PC, the system default all of the RAM to the slowest speed/settings. Before I went and replaced 1Gb of RAM, I would see if I could OC the RAM that was installed to get both running at PC3200 speed with decent timings and stability. What adjustments does your BIOS allow for the RAM? What are the current settings? Can you adjust Vdimm (RAM voltage)?

EvoLeach

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
I love my bios i can change every thing on it. one of the best i have seen besides some high end lan party ones.

sorry about the link... heres some details of the ram i was looking at. it cost 250 USD.. but to tell ya the truth i wouldnt want to over clock this crapy ram i have. the timmings on the bad stick are 3

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

Cas Latency: 2
Heat Spreader: Yes
Manufacturer Warranty: Lifetime
Voltage: 2.5V
# Model #: Twinx2048-3200c2pt
# Item #: N82E16820145575

I think that's too much money for the performance increase you'd see. I'd be more likely to go with some <A HREF="http:// www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227213" target="_new">OCZ Value VX</A>. Get this and then tigheten up the timings. $145 less and can be OCed hard - especially if you give it the voltage it wants. I think you'd be CPU/mobo limited before you hit the wall with this RAM.

If you're lagging on loading maps, then another upgrade option is getting a WD Raptor for the OS and games. Use the 200GB drive for storage only.

EvoLeach

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2005
Well the reason why i was looking at that memory were the timings and stuff like that. im not a big fan of overclocking. As far as my harddrive i only have my OS and games installed on it and all my torrents and stuff like that to my 200gb. plus some games i play i see alotta forms where overclocking is causeing some lockups in higher demanding games. HL2 is one that i was unable to play with my crapy ram. i had to underclock it so it would work right. so does a WD rapter drive make a big deal? right now i only have ATA i dont have SATA. so i wont be able to use some higher end drives.