theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
what is the difference between a 8mb buffer or a 2 mb buffer? since the seagate barrcuda 120G they r offering at anitec (2mb and 8mb) costs 105 CAD so i jsut wanted to know about their perfromance, noise, realiability and its lifespan (see that seagate offers 6 year warrenty on both item so assuming good?)

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
6 MB. LOL
The 8 MB should be faster, but I couldn't find a link to tell you by how much.
But I heard the new drives with 16MB are close to the raptors.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

RichPLS

Champion
If your buying a new drive and mobo supports it, GET SATA!
They are made same as IDE drives as far as platters and heads.
Newer ones have different circuitry and connectors, that is all.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Rich is right. If the hard drive is for the system just make sure that your motherboard has native SATA support, that way you won't have problems installing windows.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
um does <A HREF="http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=3165" target="_new">this</A> support SATA natively? i read in the manuel that its got soem SATA ports... i go over it again and what does SATA power adaptor not included mean in <A HREF="http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=2738&mcid=28" target="_new">this</A> page???? where do i get one or do the <A HREF="http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=3123" target="_new">power supply</A> i'm getting have a SATA power outlet???

G

Yes you got four sata conenctor on this board.
no SATA adaptor means thats the new drive only have the new SATA power conenctor, some drive add both the 4 pins and the SATA conenctor, some drive ships with an adaptor.
But your PSU does have at least 2 if not four SATA power conenctor so your fine.

Go SATA, the wires are cleaner and better for air circulation. aAlso some compagny only offer their 16mb on SATa, I dont think its the case...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
AFAIK that board does support SATA natively, in fact somebody told me that any nforce 4 supports SATA natively.
You'll need drivers only if you're going to do RAID, but for a single drive I think you're OK.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
um where i mount the HDD then to get better air circulation? (remember that this IS a 5 yr old ATX case that was like 100 dollars (cheap back then i belive....) and are the SATA power wires from the PSU long??

FYI: my case have 4 big (5.15 inch???? i know its 5 something...) bays and 4 small (3.15 inch?? me think) bays...

BTW should i get SATA 120GB or IDE 160 GB for the same price? both are by seagate, both are 8 mb cached, i jsut want to know do SATA get faster read/write rate than IDE?

and looking at the manufacture's website i got the feature list for both drives... and the IDE (says Ultra IDE 100??) one is
7,200 RPM desktop performance
Improves overall PC performance

350 Gs nonoperating shock
Protects drive from shock and vibration

Ultra ATA/100 interface
Fastest data transfer rates

3D Defense System
Industry's most comprehensive drive and data protection system

DiscWizard software
World's best disc installation software utility

SoftSonic (TM) FDB motor
Quietest acoustics on any desktop drive

8-Mbyte cache buffer
Improved performance

but for the SATA one is :
350 Gs non-op shock
Protection against handling damage

3D Defense System
Protection against handling damage and data loss

7,200 RPM desktop performance and 8MB cache; SATA interface with NCQ
Top performance

um the 160 GB SATA gets the same list of extra stufff, should i get it?? and it gets only 36 month worth of warrenty and the IDE one gets 60 months..... (the 120GB SATA get only 1 ?!?!?!?!?) all offered by Seagate.... does this say something about its realibility????<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/19/05 01:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

you wont notice a big diffenrence in xfer/read/write speeds...
And its 5.25" =)
And I guess you should go with the IDE since its virtually identical and you airflow is probly crappy anyhow!

Only problem is if you want to keep the drive in a future upgrade, IDE might limit you!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
If possible, put a fan in front of the hdd to blow air on it - that'll improve circulation. Basically, put the drive wherever air flows and doesn't block airflow to the rest of the system. (BTW - I've never paid more than $50 for a case - but I've always been into cheap)

120gig SATA or 160gig PATA? Tough choice. If the price & capacity were almost the same, I'd say get SATA (even pay a couple $ more for SATA but probably not $10+), but that's a tough one...

Ultra ATA/100 = market-speak for the almost fastest PATA interface available (fyi, SATA = ATA/150 but in either case, no 7200rpm drive can use all the bandwidth of ATA/100, let alone ATA/150, except in short, small bursts from cache)

That's odd re: warrantees - most of the Seagates I've seen recently all had 5yr. In any case, all 3 of those drives should be the same technology, same platter density (the 160gig uses 1 add'l platter - or 1 more side of an already existing platter than the 120gig), same spindle motor, same... etc., with possible differences being firmware. So IMO, price/gig and offerred warrantee are probably the only considerations.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmmm might as wel get the ultra IDE then..... since its cheaper and my case is after all 5 yr old and cannot support it... however i'm also think about future upgrades as well (pointed out by Starfishy) that in the future them IDEs might not be and then i need to get new drive.... (do ya think it might by too small by then?) so someone give me the dibs on the future of IDE and SATA and the probility of it being overheated cuz i left it on the floor of my case not in a bay........

G

Hey I dont see fishy anywhere in this thread!!!
its not cuz my nick finishes with a Y than you can call me fishy :wink:

I ebeleive IDE will be around for a while btu I mentionned it anywayz...See theres almost no DVD/CD drive on SATA so we will carry ide for a little while, at least 3 years(just a wild guess)

As for overheating if theres no source of heat around it, I doubt it would overheat.

RichPLS

Champion
Do you eBelieve so?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o i was PMing star fishy where to get good deals and all... and well so i could theroitically get SATA? w/o it overheating? just when mounting it it dosen't get to be in a bay but in the bottom of my case, away from the CPU the GPU and bascially the mobo lol

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/19/05 03:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

yes I did eBeleive so but im not eSoSure anymore... With no air flow it might notbe good...altough it will have the case as a heat spreader a la Zalman :wink:

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
You could spend a couple bucks and get a 3.5" to 5.25" adapter - and put it in one of the big bays. That way its secured, its' got airspace around it for cooling, and everyone's happy.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
?? what is the diamention for a SATA drive???????? and what is the diamention for the IDE one?? i thopugh only small and old HDD come in 3.5 sizes and newer ones are 5.25

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/19/05 04:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hunh!?¿¡
3.5" = rgular desktop
for laptop : 2.5"
for smaller device 1.8(iPod)
for real small HD flash driver 1"

RichPLS

Champion
Quit it, you know he does not measure up to those enlarged dimensions. He meant the <i> soft </i> drive dimensions....

RichPLS

Champion
I have a 5-1/2" floppy protecter you can leave on your nightstand, for impressing that special one!

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I've used a hard drive (not on PC) that had platters about 28" diameter and came in a case the size of a washing machine. Held 120Megabytes. The 404MB versions had removeable platters (something akin to hot-swappable) and would literally walk across the room from the vibration when in heavy use.

PC drives today are 3.5" (both SATA and PATA/IDE - they're the same drive, they just take a different cable). Laptops are 2.5, and ... well, someone else already gave you those dimensions.

Old HDD used to be 5.25, and full height (that is, 2 of the large bays in your case). They also weighed in the neighborhood of 10 lbs (4.5kg), so you really knew it when you dropped one on your foot. The first 3.5" drives were half-height (the height of your DVD/CD drive), then they came down to the 1" drives we have now.

Mike.

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Really... Hmm, I think 28" was too big - 18" might be more like it... (its been a while...) but the rest is certain.

Mike.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol i don;t really care for cabling but i do care for future reuseability.... i mean now games have 50 mb + saves imagine 3-4 years from now... so.... however since my 3.5 bays are about 3-4 inches above the bottom of my case (roughly....) i dunno if me cables are gona b long enough to reach the SATA from there...