Worth adding more RAM?

Kilgore

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
I am a newbie here, so bear with me if this is a newbie question! I have some extra money to spend on upgrading my brand new computer. That's right - it hasn't even been delivered yet, but I have a credit to use, so I am trying to decide how best to improve the system overall. Since I obviously won't be changing the CPU and I am satisfied with my graphics card, I thought increasing the ram was a no-brainer. But since I was trying to determine if it is worth it to add more to 1 gig of ram for gaming purposes, I came here. I had always thought that you couldn't go wrong with adding more ram, but then I read a post here where it was suggested that adding more can actually slow down the computer. Will that be true in my case - I want to increase from 1GB to 2GB. The computer is running a Pentium D 3.0 ghz processor. So, is it worth spending the money? Also, the memory I am thinking of adding will be exactly the same as the memory already in there, so there shouldn't be any decompensation issues (or whatever you call them). Thanks in advance for your help!

RichPLS

Champion
1-gig RAM is the sweet spot for gaming. Wait and see how it performs, you should be satified.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

Hehe nicely put!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

RichPLS

Champion
I am pretty sure most games do not get much if any at all improvement with 2gigs verses 1gig of ram.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

G

Or a hooker...now thats money wisely spent!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Kilgore

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2005
Uh, well thanks for the tip, but I'm female, and not that pathetic either way. Unless that's code for some computer hardware? :) Anyway, I already have the DVD burner and the nice speakers and even a fancy mouse. Maybe I'll invest in a faster wireless router. Hhhm.. the possibilities are endless. Thanks for your input, everyone! BTW, I never did really get an answer as to whether more ram could actually slow my computer down - is that dependant on CPU speed? Just wondering.

RichPLS

Champion
Oh, female, why didn't you say so... well I have some ram for you ;)
Call me. ;)
:wink: :wink:

RichPLS

Champion
BTW, just ignore the others, they are jerks! ;)

G

Back off!
She replyed to ME!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
If you have more RAM than you actually use it will slow you down. I don't know how much. BrentUnitedMem is the memory expert here. If he's around he'll give you some numbers.
The sweet spot is 1 GB (2X512 preferrably).
You should have said you're female. Maybe we could have suggested some male strippers instead of the hooker. :smile:

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

RichPLS

Champion
Heh heh heh! LOL!

RichPLS

Champion
STFU! I was the one with the sweet spot!!!!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Another option for that extra money could be a TV tuner, it always comes in handy when you have to work but don't wanna miss your favorite show.

<b><font color=blue>If you try to please everybody, nobody will like you<font color=blue></b>

G

As for more ram, you will likely see a small performance hit when you need less than 1 gig wich is quite often.
If you do work with large files in photoshop or you encode big movies you will see a positive effect.

Not many games if not any will take more than 1 gig. Altough 2 gig might be a little more future proof if youd ont upgrade often. Finally with that Pentium D you can run more application at once that consume more ram...

Best way to find out is too see if you come close to 1 gig in task manager while doing something that is important for you! Also keep in mind that windows will take into account the fact taht you have 1 gig and will likely restrain programs a little(ram wise).

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Have you noticed that when someone says I'm a girl, she always gets fast replies, and far more attention than just any other newbie.

I wonder why :evil:

RichPLS

Champion
I have noticed it with other desperate posters, but I am not in that category... ;)

G

Its cuz forum dating is soooo trendy!

RichPLS

Champion
Dating is sooooo 80's, quick and dirty seks is soooo 90's, this generation is into Rainbow Parties!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Rainbow parties rule!
I wouldn't mind quick and dirty seks though.

RichPLS

Champion
I wouldn't know, I am just a fantasizing virgin... [sniff]

G

ROFLMAO...nice one...
at leats your not a eVirgin...Wingding took care of that long ago!

Not according to Wingy...

Doh - beat me by a few secs on that one!

RichPLS

Champion
**flails wrists and runs away crying!** Bassturds!