DELL OPTIPLEX GX280 WILL NOT RECOGNIZE USB MOUSE KEYBOARD

rolson3788

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Dell Optiplex GX280

It boot and loads to the welcome screen, but no usb mouse and keyboard, There is no PS/2 ports. How can i make the USB drivers load??. Everything checks out in the BIOS too. Any help would be appreciated

When was the last time they worked?

Boot into safe mode with command prompt. It doesn't load windows for this, so you might have keyboard functionality here. At the command prompt type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter.
This will open the system restore application. Choose to roll back to a date when they worked.

rolson3788

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Its not mine, they guy i got it from says the keyboard and mouse worked on it there. I am using a spare logitech keyboard and a generic mouse. I think it's a Dell proprietary thing. I am not sure they will work when he plugs them back in.

rolson3788

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
They still wont work on load. I sit at the logon screen (he got it passworded) and i cant do anything. any other ideas? The Bios is outdated. I thought maybe if I made a boot disk and flashed the BIOS is Dos that might help.

If the mouse and keyboard used to work, use the system restore method noted above.

bfunk_nme

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Some times this happens if PnP has detected some other hardware change and it is waiting for THAT hardware to install first.. some times this sucks because if it is trying to install a printer, but your keyboard needs to be installed, it will wait for the printer to be installed... but you can't do anything because your keyboard is not working...

Keyboard error, press F2 to continue.. ... ... sigh..

rolson3788

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
It was a Windows problem--since the keyboard and mouse worked in BIOS, but not when i got to the logon screen. Solution: I disabled the logon screen and it loaded when the computer went right to the desktop.

KerrieM819

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011

But how did you disable the logon screen without a working mouse or keyboard? I'm having the same exact problem as the others. All the instructions I'm finding online involve going into the Control Panel, which I can't do b/c I can't get past the logon screen b/c my mouse & keyboard won't work.