Sign in with
Your question

DELL OPTIPLEX GX280 WILL NOT RECOGNIZE USB MOUSE KEYBOARD

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 15, 2010 9:45:22 PM

Dell Optiplex GX280

It boot and loads to the welcome screen, but no usb mouse and keyboard, There is no PS/2 ports. How can i make the USB drivers load??. Everything checks out in the BIOS too. Any help would be appreciated
July 16, 2010 1:17:42 AM

Is it the same in safe mode?
m
l
July 16, 2010 7:43:08 PM

aford10 said:
Is it the same in safe mode?

have not tried safe mode
m
l
Related resources
July 16, 2010 7:45:18 PM

does noe work in safe mode either
m
l
July 16, 2010 8:26:51 PM

When was the last time they worked?

Boot into safe mode with command prompt. It doesn't load windows for this, so you might have keyboard functionality here. At the command prompt type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter.
This will open the system restore application. Choose to roll back to a date when they worked.
m
l
July 16, 2010 10:33:06 PM

Its not mine, they guy i got it from says the keyboard and mouse worked on it there. I am using a spare logitech keyboard and a generic mouse. I think it's a Dell proprietary thing. I am not sure they will work when he plugs them back in.
m
l
July 16, 2010 11:52:36 PM

There's nothing proprietary about a keyboard or mouse. They use a generic windows driver. They are simple plug and play devices.
m
l
July 17, 2010 11:15:22 AM

They still wont work on load. I sit at the logon screen (he got it passworded) and i cant do anything. any other ideas? The Bios is outdated. I thought maybe if I made a boot disk and flashed the BIOS is Dos that might help.
m
l
July 17, 2010 4:38:54 PM

aford10 said:
When was the last time they worked?

Boot into safe mode with command prompt. It doesn't load windows for this, so you might have keyboard functionality here. At the command prompt type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter.
This will open the system restore application. Choose to roll back to a date when they worked.

If the mouse and keyboard used to work, use the system restore method noted above.
m
l
July 19, 2010 7:33:05 PM

thanx for ypur posts, but i solved the problem. I swapped hard drives with an identical unit and it booted and recognized the keyboard and mouse after a few minutes
m
l
July 19, 2010 7:36:46 PM

Some times this happens if PnP has detected some other hardware change and it is waiting for THAT hardware to install first.. some times this sucks because if it is trying to install a printer, but your keyboard needs to be installed, it will wait for the printer to be installed... but you can't do anything because your keyboard is not working...

Keyboard error, press F2 to continue.. ... ... sigh..
m
l
July 29, 2010 8:22:16 PM

It was a Windows problem--since the keyboard and mouse worked in BIOS, but not when i got to the logon screen. Solution: I disabled the logon screen and it loaded when the computer went right to the desktop.
m
l
June 3, 2011 5:47:37 PM

rolson3788 said:
It was a Windows problem--since the keyboard and mouse worked in BIOS, but not when i got to the logon screen. Solution: I disabled the logon screen and it loaded when the computer went right to the desktop.

But how did you disable the logon screen without a working mouse or keyboard? I'm having the same exact problem as the others. All the instructions I'm finding online involve going into the Control Panel, which I can't do b/c I can't get past the logon screen b/c my mouse & keyboard won't work.
m
l
June 3, 2011 7:00:25 PM

If rolson's solution works, you don't need to go into the control panel. Access to the BIOS is before windows loads. Try tapping the Delete key repeatedly (or whatever the 'Setup' key is) as your computer is starting up.
m
l
!