Closed Solved

Which W7 version is better for gaming?

I want to get the upgrade promotion before July 11, but which one should I get if I'm using my PC mainly for gaming and some Internet surfing? The W7 Home Premium Upgrade for $50 or the W7 Professional Upgrade for $100? And should I even get the upgrade or should I wait for the OEM? Maybe the OEM will be cheaper.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about which version gaming
  1. Best answer
    Home Premium
  2. Scotteq said:
    Home Premium

Why home premium? Can you please elaborate? Is it that Professional has unnecessary features that I will not be using?
  3. Unless you need support for Network Domains, shadow backup, and hard drive encryption, you do not need to waste money on Pro.
  4. OK. Thanks for your help, you just saved me 50 bucks.
  5. I have one more question, my buddy let me borrow a bulk windows xp cd and I installed that on my pc. Can I upgrade to W7 from that?
  6. You won't be able to run an upgrade installation of Windows 7 over an install of XP, you'll have to do a format+clean install and provide an upgrade eligible license/product key.
  7. mtyermom said:
    You won't be able to run an upgrade installation of Windows 7 over an install of XP, you'll have to do a format+clean install and provide an upgrade eligible license/product key.

What? I thought the promotion was offered to XP customers as well. I thought the only difference was that I had to do a clean install as oppose to vista? Isn't going from windows xp to windows 7 still an upgrade? Can somebody else please confirm this before I go and buy it?
  8. You do a clean install and input your XP key...
  9. I do have the key, but don't know if there's going to be a problem since it's a bulk widows xp. Do any of you have an idea if it would work or not?
  10. d_mon1 said:
    I do have the key, but don't know if there's going to be a problem since it's a bulk widows xp. Do any of you have an idea if it would work or not?

Use this utility to read teh key you have installed now: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/02/11/easily-change-product-key-with-windows-product-key-update-tool-free-download/
  11. if it's a legal copy of windows you will be fine
  12. All right, thanks for all your help guys.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming OEM Internet Windows 7