As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I have a
client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a copy
for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

stuart macleod wrote:

> As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I have a
> client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a copy
> for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one

What version are you trying to upgrade, ie Pro or Home, and what version
are you using for the upgrade, Home v Pro, retail or OEM?

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"stuart macleod" wrote:

| As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I have a
| client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a copy
| for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one

i have tried this but it does not work
the error i get is
the version of windows xp can not be upgraded so the option to upgrade will
not be available

and just says a fresh install which is not an option

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "stuart macleod" wrote:
>
> | As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I have a
> | client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a copy
> | for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one

If the illegal version of Windows XP is Professional,
then you'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of
Windows XP Professional in order to perform the
repair install. It sounds like you bought Windows XP
Home Edition which cannot be used unless you reformat
the hard drive.

You need to boot to the Windows XP Pro CD and then
perform a repair install. Read the following article
carefully:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

stuart macleod wrote:
> As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be
> I have a client with a license key which is not original I have now
> purchased a copy for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new
> one

http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/phonewpa.html

Follow the instruction to step #3 then hit the "Change Product key"
Button.

--
Peace!
Kurt

i have tried this but it returns with the message that i have mispelt the
license key but i have tried this 5 times now with the same key

is there anywhere i can validate the license key as i dont really want to
advertise the key in here

"kurttrail" wrote:

> stuart macleod wrote:
> > As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be
> > I have a client with a license key which is not original I have now
> > purchased a copy for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new
> > one
>
> http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/phonewpa.html
>
> Follow the instruction to step #3 then hit the "Change Product key"
> Button.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

The license key is associated with the license type (oem, Volume, retail
full, upgrade.) Same with CDs.
"stuart macleod" <stuartmacleod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have tried this but it returns with the message that i have mispelt the
> license key but i have tried this 5 times now with the same key
>
> is there anywhere i can validate the license key as i dont really want to
> advertise the key in here
>
> "kurttrail" wrote:
>
>> stuart macleod wrote:
>> > As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be
>> > I have a client with a license key which is not original I have now
>> > purchased a copy for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new
>> > one
>>
>> http://www.microscum.com/mmpafaq/phonewpa.html
>>
>> Follow the instruction to step #3 then hit the "Change Product key"
>> Button.
>>
>> --
>> Peace!
>> Kurt
>> Self-anointed Moderator
>> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
>> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
>> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
>> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Try this

In safe Mode.
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current
Version\WPAEvents

In the right pane, right-click OOBETimer, and then click Modify.

Change at least one digit of first line value.

Reboot normally here.

The activation screen may come up if not type this in the
Run box
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

You will need your key from the back or bottom of your machine.
If you installed xp yourself, you will need that key.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to
activate Windows, and then click Next. Click Change Product key.
Type the product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update. If
another Screen pops up-Click Remind me latter. Reboot. Then
activate. Reboot

Don't publish your key.

Greg Ro

how do i know which licence she has
i have purchased an oem copy of windows xp pro

stuart macleod wrote:
> how do i know which licence she has
> i have purchased an oem copy of windows xp pro

OEM can't do an upgrade, only a clean install.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

i am upgrading pro

"Rock" wrote:

> stuart macleod wrote:
>
> > As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I have a
> > client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a copy
> > for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one
>
> What version are you trying to upgrade, ie Pro or Home, and what version
> are you using for the upgrade, Home v Pro, retail or OEM?
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You need to "boot" the PC with the CD in the drive. You can not run the
install inside of Windows.

>i have tried this but it does not work
> the error i get is
> the version of windows xp can not be upgraded so the option to upgrade
> will
> not be available
>
> and just says a fresh install which is not an option
>
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/windowsxp/choose.mspx

>> "stuart macleod" wrote:
>>
>> | As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I
>> have a
>> | client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a
>> copy
>> | for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one

the new key is in a new pack not on the notebook at all the exsisting key is
invalid
will it work if i insert the new key from the winxp oem pro pack

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaqnojs.htm#18

--

stuart macleod wrote:

> i am upgrading pro
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>stuart macleod wrote:
>>

>>>As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would be I have a
>>>client with a license key which is not original I have now purchased a copy
>>>for her but how do i chnage the product key to a new one
>>
>>What version are you trying to upgrade, ie Pro or Home, and what version
>>are you using for the upgrade, Home v Pro, retail or OEM?
>>
>>--
>>Rock
>>MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You didn't answer completely. What are you upgrading from and to what,
Home v Pro, OEM v Retail.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Boot with your new version of XP and perform a Repair Install.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

stuart macleod wrote:
> i am upgrading pro
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> stuart macleod wrote:
>>
>>> As you all know the new updat eis here as we all thought it would
>>> be I have a client with a license key which is not original I have
>>> now purchased a copy for her but how do i chnage the product key to
>>> a new one
>>
>> What version are you trying to upgrade, ie Pro or Home, and what
>> version are you using for the upgrade, Home v Pro, retail or OEM?
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Then you cannot do anything but a clean install to change the key.

And had you told us this to begin with then tread could have ended much
sooner.

--

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> Boot with your new version of XP and perform a Repair Install.

You can't repair install Pro over an installation of Home.