[40k] new zoanthrope

Wow!!! I know what my new army is going to be. Those new 'Nids look SICK!!!
"smithdoerr" <askmeforname@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "jockelinde" <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message
> > http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg
> >

> Not bad. I like it better than the old one but it still has that pose
that
> makes it look like it's bouncing along by its tail a la Tigger.
>

> --
>
> -smithdoerr

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 11 Mar 2005 12:04:02 GMT, jockelinde <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote:

>http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

Ew. I'll stick to my old-style brain bugs, thank you very much.
Although I have to admit, they look a lot better than the current
Zoanthropes.

-Bob

jockelinde <nouser@notmydomain.se> wrote in message news:<slrnd3329i.jbi.nouser@crux.id.gu.se>...
> http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

It's just a Tyranised version of the current pseudo-Eldar one - give a
current Zoanthrope a Tyranid Warrior head and you've basically got
this. Not bad, but not terribly interesting. I'm not too keen on the
oversized spines, though. Still, at least their paint scheme's good
this time round.

Philip Bowles

In article <slrnd3329i.jbi.nouser@crux.id.gu.se>, jockelinde,
nouser@notmydomain.se Varfed out the following in Timo speak...
> http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

While this does seem to help solidifiy rumors I've heard
concerning a much larger new Carnifex and possibly a larger new Tyrant
as well, I'm not totally over whelmed. I like the new more articulated
head armor and the torso has a bit more bulk to it. But the 'buldging
brain' in the back looks damn silly honestly. First up, it's straight
out of the pulp fiction novels of the 50's. What next an IG Hero named
'F. Lash Gordon'? While it's a nice nod to a by gone era, it doesn't
seem to fit in well with 'Gritty' Dark Future that is 40K. Second, if
the Hive mind would bother to go to the trouble to 'evolve' a new and
improved head carapace plate, why would it leave the back of the
freakin' brain open so that an 8 year old with a sling shot or a pea
shooter could kill it? The back spines are a nice idea and in keeping
with other parts of the 'Nid Hordes' - but they're overly large to my
taste. Between that and the really unimaginative pose and worse base, I
swear you could paint the thing brass and it'd look like some sort of
'gothic sink fixture' or a gaudy sea horse.

I'm glad I retained two of the old 1st Ed Zoans. Granted they're
not superb figures in their own right either by any stretch of the
imagination, they do have the advantage of looking like they'd at least
be tough in a fight and do not look like sea monkeys.

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how
much you are going to have to make per year in order to play.

- Eric Noland

# 1082. Pound for pound I can buy cocaine cheaper than
raise a Warhammer army

- Roy Cox

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/gwprice/

****

RGMW FAQ: http://www.rgmw.org

Or...

jockelinde wrote:
> http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

Ugly.

But I'll bet Phil will like it. It has lots of the kind of detailing he
likes.

I think that the overall design and balance is poor. The 40k4 version
has no subtlety or fine-tuning of the shape. The head shape is doesn't
fit with anything, the limbs are oddly positioned, the back spines are
ridiculous, and the posing over the 'nid spine is stupid.

The 40k3 version is clearly superior in nearly all aspects.

\-|-/

jockelinde wrote:
> http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg
>
> --
> Joakim

Errgh... I respect the fact that they tried, but the spines on the back
look *worse* and the oversized brain sticking out from the carapace
isn't that hot either. For my Zoanthropes, i left the carapace
headpiece off entirely. Looks good.

Overall it's better, but not by much.

--Chris

In article <1110649539.001785.184290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Chris Valera, grimdarkness@hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo
speak...

> jockelinde wrote:
> > http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg
> >
> > --
> > Joakim
>

> Errgh... I respect the fact that they tried, but the spines on the back
> look *worse* and the oversized brain sticking out from the carapace
> isn't that hot either. For my Zoanthropes, i left the carapace
> headpiece off entirely. Looks good.
>
> Overall it's better, but not by much.

Guess I'm not the only one then that thinks it's a mixed bag.
Seriously, the spines wouldn't be bad if they weren't so over sized for
the rest of the torso, and the head would be great if the 'brain' wasn't
sticking out the back. I suppose some green stuff would help out, but
the real kicker is the goofy pose with the worse base. It just looks
like mutant sea horse. I've seen some good conversions of the previous
Zoan that played upon it's snake like body. It could have been curled
around some sort of base formation - rock, plant, crystal, etc and it
would have been more believable than the 'magic tail' sticking out of
the ground.

Myr

Oh - well, I hope if they redo the Carnifex and Tyrant the results are
more impressive than this.

#1582. I think they call it Warhammer "40K" because that is how

Myrmidon wrote:
> Chris Valera, grimdarkness@hotmail.com Varfed ...
>> jockelinde wrote:
>>
>>>http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg

>>Errgh... I respect the fact that they tried,

>>Overall it's better, but not by much.

*How* is it "better"?

> Guess I'm not the only one then that thinks it's a mixed bag.

I think it's somewhat better than the RT/40k2 version, but clearly worse
than the 40k3 version.

> Seriously, the spines wouldn't be bad if they weren't so over sized for
> the rest of the torso,

This is clearly the worst of the model. The spines should have been
much longer and thinner.

> and the head would be great if the 'brain' wasn't
> sticking out the back.

This doesn't bother me, but the problem is how the neck attaches to the
head, along with the shape of the brain / cranium part of the head. A
more bulbous fore, vestigal eyes and mouth, minimal crest would have
been ideal.

> I suppose some green stuff would help out, but
> the real kicker is the goofy pose with the worse base.

IMO, the worst is how the torso is unnecessarily elongated by the
setting of the hips so far down from the chest, which also should have
been made lighter.

> It just looks like mutant sea horse. I've seen some good
> conversions of the previous Zoan that played upon it's snake
> like body. It could have been curled around some sort of base
> formation - rock, plant, crystal, etc and it would have been
> more believable than the 'magic tail' sticking out of the ground.

I still maintain the best answer would have been to have had it on a
flying stand, like a Gargoyle.

> Oh - well, I hope if they redo the Carnifex and Tyrant the results are
> more impressive than this.

With the Carnifex and Tyrant it'd be hard not to surpass the 40k3
versions...

\-|-/

"John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote in message

> The base genus remains the same, so the hybridization is limited. Compare
> with mules and ligers.

Dang it, Napoleon

Myrmidon <ImNot@home.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c9d9ce974d78ed498a4c5@news-server.woh.rr.com>...
> In article <1110649539.001785.184290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> Chris Valera, grimdarkness@hotmail.com Varfed out the following in Timo
> speak...
> >
> > jockelinde wrote:
> > > http://uk.games-workshop.com/sneakpeeks/warhammer40000/Image1.jpg
> > >
> > > --
> > > Joakim
> >

> > Errgh... I respect the fact that they tried, but the spines on the back
> > look *worse* and the oversized brain sticking out from the carapace
> > isn't that hot either. For my Zoanthropes, i left the carapace
> > headpiece off entirely. Looks good.
> >
> > Overall it's better, but not by much.
>
> Guess I'm not the only one then that thinks it's a mixed bag.
> Seriously, the spines wouldn't be bad if they weren't so over sized for
> the rest of the torso,

Definitely.

and the head would be great if the 'brain' wasn't
> sticking out the back.

I really don't mind that - it's the one bit that makes this thing seem
like a Zoanthrope rather than a mutant Ravener.

I suppose some green stuff would help out, but
> the real kicker is the goofy pose with the worse base. It just looks
> like mutant sea horse.

No, that might add variety.

> Oh - well, I hope if they redo the Carnifex and Tyrant the results are
> more impressive than this.

They've said they're definitely redoing the Carnifex, and I think the
Tyrant as well. No word on whether there's anything new or whether
there will be a new multipose Genestealer set (ideally better than the
things in the 40k box).

Philip Bowles

Craig Little wrote:
> "John Hwang" <JohnHwangCSI@cs.com.no.com> wrote...
>>The base genus remains the same, so the hybridization is limited. Compare
>>with mules and ligers.
>
> Dang it, Napoleon

Dy-no-miiiite!

\-|-/