Memory maxed out - fix?

Tony_B

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
I'm running an old Pentium III, 1GHz with 512MB of SDRAM (a Dell Dimension 4100). Dell says that 512MB is the maximum RAM allowed by the system. My question is, is there a work-around that would allow me to add say 1GB or even more? The speed of this system is fine for another year, but I really need more memory. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like it's time for another computer...

I don't know of a work around.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
i810/810E and i815/815E/815EP chipsets (the entire 810/815 series) are limitted to 512MB intentionally by Intel. It was their intent at the time to force high-end buyers to get their RDRAM chipsets (820/840). There are no workarounds at all. The older BX chipset was a better solution, supporting 1GB of RAM via 4 slots (but with a density limit).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>