Odd windows genuine validation message

[The scan of your computer has completed. The Windows product key
associated with your copy of Windows maps to one of the major PC
manufacturers who purchase Windows product keys from Microsoft. The
specific product key found on your computer maps to a major PC
manufacturer that sells different hardware than the hardware found on
your machine. This will not prevent you from validating now, but may
cause you problems in the future. Please click Continue to complete
the validation process.]

I have change the hardware on the machine for your info.

Should I change my key on the back of the machine?

Greg Ro

Malke

Greg Ro wrote:

> Odd windows genuine validation message
>
> [The scan of your computer has completed. The Windows product key
> associated with your copy of Windows maps to one of the major PC
> manufacturers who purchase Windows product keys from Microsoft. The
> specific product key found on your computer maps to a major PC
> manufacturer that sells different hardware than the hardware found on
> your machine. This will not prevent you from validating now, but may
> cause you problems in the future. Please click Continue to complete
> the validation process.]
>

> I have change the hardware on the machine for your info.
>
> Should I change my key on the back of the machine?

No. Major OEM's (Dell, HP, etc.) have a special volume license for the
operating system. For each model computer, they set up a perfect master
machine and then image its drive. They then apply that image to the
thousands of computers they sell. The Product Key that is detected on
the hard drive is for the volume license and is not the one that you
would use for reinstallation. The sticker on the back of your computer
is your individual Product Key and is the correct one for you to use
for reinstallation. You should not change it.

This is an issue with the Windows Genuine Validation software and I
honestly don't know how MS will address this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com