A well rounded notebook!

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 26, 2009 3:23:20 AM

1_What is your budget? ~1300 CAD

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-16"

3_What screen resolution
do you want?
1600x900 - 1920x1080

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?portable, but want it to be a bit of a powerhouse, I'm fine with 15-16" size and weights.

5_How much battery life do you need?a decent amount...near 2-3 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes...nothing hardcore, medium level gaming with medium settings atleast (no crysis), source engine stuff, mostly multiplayer games, no single player as they will be played on my desktop.
Possibly aiming at at 46xx - gt160m level hardware??

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Uni work like report writing, some stats and office suite, some coding, a good amount of 3d modeling (mainly sketchup, though rendering will be mostly done on my desktop), possibly some photoshop like editing soft/suite. Music and surfing. Movie watching is big too, HD screen and/or Blu-ray is a good plus.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
I see 250 as standard nowadays. 500 is preferred but 250 is fine, 7200 rpm is a must though.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.
I don't mind refurbished/redistributed as long they are from certified resellers like ones on ebay, dell outlet stores etc.
Otherwise something that is accessible from Canada.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
Life expectancy of atleast 3-4 years!

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Yes a DVD writer at the least, blu-ray reader is a huge plus esp if its the FHD screen. (blu-ray writer is just overkill :pt1cable:  )

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't mind as long as they have good reputation/forum feedback and other reliability factors. I hear bad things about HP, guess I need to stay away from them?
Dont want the notebook to stand out like a beacon among the crowd. Do want to meld in and possibly look good, but all this can be considered secondary if budget is an issue.

13_What country do you live in?
Canada

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Seeing all this, I'm very interested in the Dell Studio XPS 1640 and possibly Studio 15.
What would you guys say about xps 16?, it looks awesome and fits in well.
Ebay has certain configs that are refurbished and seems like from trusted sellers (certified dell refurbished sellers..i think) and can get 16" WLED 1920x1080, bluray, 500gb, 2.4 ghz, 4670 and 4gb ram and possibly get it for around CAD1300
a well rounded system?

A quiet and cool computer is a huge plus, but seeing as I need power components, something that isn't as hot as similarly configured models is fine. Also I'm planning on getting extended warranty, one that supports the accidental damages for atleast 2 years (is this worth it? I guess I can add on this plan if I buy refurbished ones?)

Any ideas if any of these models or reasonably priced models will be refreshed with mobility 4830! :) 
Any guesses on when GTS250m will be released and when it'll be available as an option for upgrades among models? :bounce: 

I plan to get a laptop in about a week-1month. Can wait longer if possibly better models and/or price drops and possibly combined with above mentioned graphic card or equal releases.

Anyways I'm here to hear alternatives/perspectives/issues on models/info on refreshes/sales etc

Thanks a lot
HP

More about : rounded notebook

a c 244 D Laptop
October 26, 2009 5:55:31 AM

HP DV6 Quad is good so is XPS 16 but the XPS model that u mentioned has C2D and new XPS 16s have i7,so go for the XPS 16 i7 version otherwise the HP DV6 Quad is a good choice
October 26, 2009 6:29:44 AM

The i7 laptops cant stand within my budget sadly :( 
However I will not be doing anything that will require a quad core, the graphics card worries me more.
The HP dv6t quad is a really good one at a good price for a quad but it has quite an underpowered gpu (230m).
I dunno what do you guys say?
Related resources
October 26, 2009 8:48:14 AM

Interesting...
Thats a good one with 4650 and really good price hovering around 1000US$
Though the resolution is a bit small for the work I usually do.

What I'm worried about is shipping and the whole issue of tax collection at Canadian border :S
!