[misc] alternatives to bartertown/ebay ?

Hi all,

I'm looking for miniature trading sites, similar to bartertown.org. I have
a bunch of stuff i'm looking for and a bunch of stuff to get rid of, but
bartertown isn't what it used to be. (and it doesn't help that as of
about 10 minutes ago, there's a "this site hacked by" message up.)

Ebay doesn't really work because i can't trade stuff. And it's evil
in so many ways (but this isn't a rant, so i'll leave it at that)

So far all the other sites i've found tend to be focused around either
trades local to a specific area or mostly deal to a few specific armies.

Anyone know of any useful alternatives?

--
the ever popular blank sig

"disgruntled pawn" <see@sig.invalid> wrote in message

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for miniature trading sites, similar to bartertown.org. I have
> a bunch of stuff i'm looking for and a bunch of stuff to get rid of, but
> bartertown isn't what it used to be. (and it doesn't help that as of
> about 10 minutes ago, there's a "this site hacked by" message up.)
>
> Ebay doesn't really work because i can't trade stuff. And it's evil
> in so many ways (but this isn't a rant, so i'll leave it at that)
>
> So far all the other sites i've found tend to be focused around either
> trades local to a specific area or mostly deal to a few specific armies.
>
> Anyone know of any useful alternatives?

Basically every web forum (Dakka Dakka, 40konline, Bolter & Chainsword,
etc.) have a swap shop/trading post type forum. Realistically though,
B-Town is still the only pure trading site out there. It's up and down, to
be sure, but I doubt you'll find another site with people actually looking
to deal.

Karyth Teel

"Karyth Teel" <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message

> "disgruntled pawn" <see@sig.invalid> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking for miniature trading sites, similar to bartertown.org. I
have
> > a bunch of stuff i'm looking for and a bunch of stuff to get rid of, but
> > bartertown isn't what it used to be. (and it doesn't help that as of
> > about 10 minutes ago, there's a "this site hacked by" message up.)
> >
> > Ebay doesn't really work because i can't trade stuff. And it's evil
> > in so many ways (but this isn't a rant, so i'll leave it at that)
> >
> > So far all the other sites i've found tend to be focused around either
> > trades local to a specific area or mostly deal to a few specific armies.
> >
> > Anyone know of any useful alternatives?
>
> Basically every web forum (Dakka Dakka, 40konline, Bolter & Chainsword,
> etc.) have a swap shop/trading post type forum. Realistically though,
> B-Town is still the only pure trading site out there. It's up and down,
> be sure, but I doubt you'll find another site with people actually looking
> to deal.
>
> Karyth Teel

In the past 2 months I ahve been trying to access bartertown, I have gotten
to the actual trading areas TWICE. It's a complete waste if you ask me.
Damn site is ALWAYS down and/or having database errors. I've quit going
there personally.

Melketh wrote:
> "Karyth Teel" <spo2@case.edu> wrote in message
>
>>"disgruntled pawn" <see@sig.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>I'm looking for miniature trading sites, similar to bartertown.org. I
>
> have
>
>>>a bunch of stuff i'm looking for and a bunch of stuff to get rid of, but
>>>bartertown isn't what it used to be. (and it doesn't help that as of
>>>about 10 minutes ago, there's a "this site hacked by" message up.)
>>>
>>>Ebay doesn't really work because i can't trade stuff. And it's evil
>>>in so many ways (but this isn't a rant, so i'll leave it at that)
>>>
>>>So far all the other sites i've found tend to be focused around either
>>>trades local to a specific area or mostly deal to a few specific armies.
>>>
>>>Anyone know of any useful alternatives?
>>
>>Basically every web forum (Dakka Dakka, 40konline, Bolter & Chainsword,
>>etc.) have a swap shop/trading post type forum. Realistically though,
>>B-Town is still the only pure trading site out there. It's up and down,

>>be sure, but I doubt you'll find another site with people actually looking
>>to deal.
>>
>>Karyth Teel
>>

> In the past 2 months I ahve been trying to access bartertown, I have gotten
> to the actual trading areas TWICE. It's a complete waste if you ask me.
> Damn site is ALWAYS down and/or having database errors. I've quit going
> there personally.

SO how hard is it to make a site like that? I can co-locate a server for
$10/month with my employee discount. Would it be like just a big forum?
I need more info but you know what they say: "find a need fill a need"
so maybe with your guys' help we can have RGMW trading post or some such...

-Joe