Why is Content.IE5 folder invisible?

July 27, 2005 9:23:37 PM

Hi all

A recent thread was about whether it was safe to delete files in
Temporary Internet Files and Content.IE5. This intrigued me because I
can't see my user profile's Content.IE5 in Explorer. According to that,
TIF has no sub-folders.

Although I can't see my own, I can see Content.IE5 in the user profiles
of the built-in Administrator account and the Default User account. If I
log out and in again as the Administrator, I can then see the folder in
my *own* user profile, but not in the Administrator's. In other words, I
can't see Content.IE5 for the account I'm using.

I thought it was the same for everybody, but from what people said in
the other thread, it obviously isn't. Has anyone any ideas why I can't
see the folder? My account is an administrator, the system is XP Pro SP2
and I always run with all options to see hidden/system files.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Nightowl wrote:
> Hi all
>
> A recent thread was about whether it was safe to delete files in
> Temporary Internet Files and Content.IE5. This intrigued me because I
> can't see my user profile's Content.IE5 in Explorer. According to that,
> TIF has no sub-folders.
>
> Although I can't see my own, I can see Content.IE5 in the user profiles
> of the built-in Administrator account and the Default User account. If I
> log out and in again as the Administrator, I can then see the folder in
> my *own* user profile, but not in the Administrator's. In other words, I
> can't see Content.IE5 for the account I'm using.
>
> I thought it was the same for everybody, but from what people said in
> the other thread, it obviously isn't. Has anyone any ideas why I can't
> see the folder? My account is an administrator, the system is XP Pro SP2
> and I always run with all options to see hidden/system files.

The folder has special viewing properties that enable to you see the
content of all sub-folders by simply looking into the Temporary Internet
Files (TIF) folder. If you are using Explorer to look for a specific
file in TIF, it is easier if you don't have to browse into sub-folders
and back up, going through each folder looking for the file.

From the command line you can see the folder, and using most file
browsing utilities other than Explorer will allow you to see the folder
as well.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 27, 2005 9:23:38 PM

Start | Run | Paste this in the box:

%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Click OK.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:4Em3iqXJU75CFwMs@black.hole,
Nightowl <owl@[127.0.0.1]> hunted and pecked:
> Hi all
>
> A recent thread was about whether it was safe to delete files in
> Temporary Internet Files and Content.IE5. This intrigued me because I
> can't see my user profile's Content.IE5 in Explorer. According to that,
> TIF has no sub-folders.
>
> Although I can't see my own, I can see Content.IE5 in the user profiles
> of the built-in Administrator account and the Default User account. If I
> log out and in again as the Administrator, I can then see the folder in
> my *own* user profile, but not in the Administrator's. In other words, I
> can't see Content.IE5 for the account I'm using.
>
> I thought it was the same for everybody, but from what people said in
> the other thread, it obviously isn't. Has anyone any ideas why I can't
> see the folder? My account is an administrator, the system is XP Pro SP2
> and I always run with all options to see hidden/system files.
>
> --
> Nightowl
Related resources
July 28, 2005 6:00:30 AM

Tom Porterfield wrote on Wed, 27 Jul 2005:

>The folder has special viewing properties that enable to you see the
>content of all sub-folders by simply looking into the Temporary
>Internet Files (TIF) folder. If you are using Explorer to look for a
>specific file in TIF, it is easier if you don't have to browse into
>sub-folders and back up, going through each folder looking for the file.
>
>From the command line you can see the folder, and using most file
>browsing utilities other than Explorer will allow you to see the folder
>as well.

Thanks, Tom. I realise TIF, its sub-folders and contents are, as someone
said, a bit of a "smoke and mirrors" trick -- what you see isn't really
there, etc. I was just surprised to hear that other people apparently
can see the Content.IE5 in Explorer on their setups while I can't. It's
not a big issue, I'm just curious :-)

Thanks again for the reply.

--
Nightowl
July 28, 2005 6:02:47 AM

Wesley Vogel wrote on Wed, 27 Jul 2005:

>Start | Run | Paste this in the box:
>
>%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
>
>Click OK.
>
>--
>Hope this helps. Let us know.

Thank you for that, Wesley. I had been poking around at the Command
prompt but it involved changing attributes in order to see the folder
and contents. This way is much easier, thank you.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

You have to sneak up on it. ;-)

There are many more ways, but that was the next to the easiest.

The easiest way is to create a shortcut to
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5
and use the shortcut.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes